Garrage supply from Split load RCD protected Board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
Help would be appreciated on this.

A garage supply is needed consisting of a couple of socket outlets a light and a supply for electric garage door. The garage is detached from the house 10 mtrs away from C/U. A SWA cable has been run to the garage.

Problem is the house consumer unit is fully RCD protected with one free 16A mcb left on the board. It isn't high integrity so no unprotected ways.

How can I supply the garage without tripping the house RCD causing inconvenience.

What are my options as everything is very compact and dont think there is room on the wall here for a henley block to create a separate supply to SWA and to then install a 2 way garage RCD protected unit.

what would be the best way to connect the tails (that is if I managed to get any into a henley) and SWA cable

Any solutions gratefully accepted

Sponsored Links
Run the SWA into a galvanised box and then the inner cores to the CU. Earth the armour to the box and run a link to the Cu.

Sponsored Links
Problem is the house consumer unit is fully RCD protected with one free 16A mcb left on the board. It isn't high integrity so no unprotected ways.

Can you (carefully) take off the front cover of the CU and take a photo so we can see the layout.
Sometimes it is possible to create an unprotected way......

Easiest thing to do would be install a Stand alone Board ideally RCD Protected that will supply just the Garage , OK it`s a bit more work , but would stop any Tripping of House Circuits.

Lucky

I intended fitting a new board (garage unit in the garrage with a 6A and 16A breaker and RCD protection.. But theSWA from the house would need protection with an MCB and main switch housed in a main switch unit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back