Gas Boiler and ventilation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in a block of flats, built in approximately 1880.

We all had our gas disconnected recently for gas work to be done on one of the properties.

When the gas guy came to reconnect mine he slapped a do not use certificate on my boiler.
This is an old Glow-worm 45-60 and has been in the flat for a very long time.

He has market two things
(1) Insufficient ventilation into the room, a kitchen.
(2) Unguarded flue.

Regarding the ventilation, I have been told that the regulation refer to new installations and that it was assumed that there would be air inflow though the fabric of old buildings as in
"Combustion Applicances and Fuel Storage Systems - The Requirements J1/J2/J3/J4/J5/J6"

Note that the boiler has been there for 10 - 20 years so far.

Regarding the ungraded flue.
The boiler is set into the old kitchen fireplace and to accidental touch the flue you would have to be deliberately reaching about two feet into the fireplace above the boiler.

Is this guy right or did I get someone on the wrong day. I have had corgi engineers out to service this before and nothing was mentioned.

Edit/Delete Message

Sponsored Links
It does sound like you have an open flued boiler.The flue being vertically off the top of the boiler is ok and the fact that you can touch it in that situation is not a problem.Ventilation however is extremely important and that needs to be addressed.The notice that he left you should have stated what was considered wrong with the ventilation,and any decent RGI would have offered a solution.It may be only not to current stds or at worst at risk.Ask for an explanation.

ventialtion requirements have been updated and ARE retrospective. as for flue? post some pictures

Sponsored Links
All sorted.

Trickle vents in windows

I am eduguessing that his has a maximum INPUT of about 80, 000 btu/hr = about 24Kw. This requires free area of 85 sq cm. This should be purpose provided , and permanently open.

Are you sure trickle vents comply?

Flue is probably copex which is a chimney liner and should not be on show

I was simplifying it by saying trickle vents.

There is a sash and case window, which is pretty leaky already.
On the inside and outside of the case is a shielded opening (to prevent rain). This is 'permanently open.'

The flue is only 'on show' if you squint down inside original fireplace. You can touch it but you have to really want to. For completeness a grill will be put across it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back