Gas boiler in new home checks?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This may sound a strange question, but I would like to ask for some advice and information if I may please.

I am moving into my new home tomorrow afternoon, and it has a Gas combi boiler, make is Worcester I believe.

The previous owner has stated that the boiler manual will be left in the kitchen along with other information such as burglar alarm instructions, etc.

Basically, my question is this: If the boiler/system is not filled with water (which I presume it is) i will need to top it up using the key or filling loop, depending what the boiler uses.

But is the gas safe - I will have to turn the gas on myself via the meter (control lever) and i am also not sure about the gas cock under the boiler, I may also have to turn that on.

But as I have never moved before, do I need to do or get anyone to do anything else, to make sure the gas supply/combustion is fully safe, ie the burner pressure/gas rate/check for gas leaks, etc?

Sorry if I sound stupid but I just wanted to make sure and put my mind at rest when I move in.

Thanks for reading my 1st post

All the best.

Sponsored Links
if your in doubt mate get an rgi in to check it over for you, should be done every year any way

check the bench mark or see if theres any old certificates with it and check the dates on them.

It should be checked every year.

make sure theres no smell of gas.

thats prob about it from a homeowner point of few.

but remember youll not smell carbon monoxide so for your own peace of mind get it checked out by someone

Sponsored Links
I have a CO detector so that will hopefully put my mind at rest!

The boiler is not really really old, but just as a homeowner I want to feel safe, and have my mind at ease.

It has a flue that goes through the wall (room sealed type i believe)?
So as long as the flue is OK and the boiler case looks Ok then no CO should be able to get into the room/house anyway should it?

Sorry I am probably just annoying you and talking nonsense !

Thanks for your advice.

Have everything checked and tested by a Gas Safe registered engineer.
They will test your gas installation and boiler system for safe operation.
For a local engineer, check here :

http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/

cant really say with out seeing it, but prob would be fine.

But theres always the exception.

casing seals could be torn/missing under the white cover which you could not see. put your co detector beside your boiler

for the sake of fifty sixty quid get it checked over.

but as you say im sure theres thousands of people that move house every year and dont get the gas applances checked so it entirly up to you

OK that sounds good. After I have settled in, moved everything in and am settled I will find as local RGI and have my boiler (and gas cooker) checked and serviced annually.

For tomorrow will a CO detector near the boiler be safe?

Thanks for all your help

Much appreciated.

i would recomend you get it checked asap

as if ther is anything seriously at fault you can make a claim

think you only get 7-10 days if im right

Apart from checking that the pressure is correct, there is not a whole lot the user can or needs to do.
As it should be serviced anyway, any and all safety issues will show up, and summer is the best time to do such things.
If you know anybody in your area whose judgment you trust, ask them for a recommendation.
If you don't know anyone, a local company is usually better than the ones that operate nationally; you get to know the RGI, and he gets to know you and your boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back