Commercial gas boiler registration

28 Apr 2006
Reaction score
United Kingdom
When installing new domestic boilers, all should be registered with Gas Safe Register to obtain a gas safe compliance certificate.

However, when installing commercial gas boilers I am told by Gas Safe register that this is not the case and this is done by a different governing body, but they are not sure who?

I contacted the manufacturer who assumes it should be Gas Safe Register who deals with this due to commercial gas engineers having to be Gas Safe Registered?

This is really confusing and I cannot find any reference to what is the process when installing a commercial gas boiler and if a new installation should be registered or not?

Does anyone know where I might find some information/ regulations, saying what are the correct procedures when installing a new commercial gas boiler in boiler houses, regarding registration?
Many thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
You seem to be confusing gas and building regs.

When any gas boiler is fitted in a domestic building it needs to be notified to Building Control. This can be done through Gas Safe.

The fact that a boiler may be classed by the maker as commercial does not make any difference to that.

Separate qualifications are needed by an installer to work on commercial boilers or any boiler over 70 kW.

I think that building regulations apply to all buildings which are not classed as "Factories" where separate regulations may apply.


DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links