Gas query - boiler fixed. Please put my mind at rest

You have to define "work on a gas installation" - switching on a boiler is not "work" done on it; bleeding a rad is surely not counted as "work on a gas installation"; turning on a radiator valve - is that "work on a gas installation"?

Morally I agree -one should do a safety check, or advise the user to get one before using the appliance (as I did), but legally I can't see there being a case for turning on an appliance in the same manner that the end user would do (unless they had been advised not to).

Sponsored Links
I understand what you're saying. But it's always better to check things, ie flame pic if possible, take a flue gas sample, do a gas rate check, check WP/BP, do a tightness test, check the flue is ok, check case seals, check the FSD, etc. For the sake of a few minutes.

you totally right but it is not written in the regs that you MUST do that in every instance.

I would, you would and pretty every fella on here would but you need not every time.

:)

The Reg's state to check the 4 things mentioned and also to do a Tightness Test before and after breaking into a gas supply and again after working on it.

I know most people do a Tightness Test before a service, but some also do one again after. I'm not sure exactly if this needs to be done. But always worth doing.

Corgiman - do you always do a Tightness Test before any work on a gas appliance, ie boiler repair, service, etc?

Sponsored Links
You only ever have to test back tothe nearest isolation valve so on a modern boiler I you turn the gas off underthe boiler that's where you yet to when you've carried out your work.

Ldf is an approved method for local testing if you've only disturbed a single union.

I understand what you're saying. But it's always better to check things, ie flame pic if possible, take a flue gas sample, do a gas rate check, check WP/BP, do a tightness test, check the flue is ok, check case seals, check the FSD, etc. For the sake of a few minutes.

we all know your new to this industry & your keen as musterd but come off it. he has not worked on a gas installation or even the boiler. he hasn't even took the case off
topping up system pressure does not require you to put a burrner pressure on or do a gas rate.. etc

Post looks like a troll knows all the right words and phrases to use.

After any "work" on a boiler then the tests have to be made. Thats in the GSUR

Any qualified person visiting and just seeing the boiler would be foolish not to ensure that there was ventilation available for combustion seeing the consequences can be fatal.

A non qualified person cannot be expected to know what to look for but could usefully point out to the owner that a regular service or safety check was required.

Tony

[quote="jackecole";p="1625998"]Every time you work on a gas installation /appliance, you have to check things (it is the Regulations: LAW). It is a safety issue.

Even if you change a pump head in a boiler or a thermistor, or even re-pressurize a boiler it is best to check the 4 things mentioned previously and even the FSD, do a Tightness Test and case seals.[/quote]

you are contradicting yourself with these comments.
IF you "work" on the boiler you need to check various things depending on what work you did, IF you fix a leak at a radiator you DO NOT need to check the boiler or associated things we would check under the gas regs

[quote="jackecole";p="1625998"]Every time you work on a gas installation /appliance, you have to check things (it is the Regulations: LAW). It is a safety issue.

Even if you change a pump head in a boiler or a thermistor, or even re-pressurize a boiler it is best to check the 4 things mentioned previously and even the FSD, do a Tightness Test and case seals.

IF you "work" on the boiler you need to check various things depending on what work you did, IF you fix a leak at a radiator you DO NOT need to check the boiler or associated things we would check under the gas regs[/quote]

Even if you change a pump head in a boiler or a thermistor, or even re-pressurize a boiler it is best to check the 4 things mentioned previously and even the FSD, do a Tightness Test and case seals.

IF you "work" on the boiler you need to check various things depending on what work you did, IF you fix a leak at a radiator you DO NOT need to check the boiler or associated things we would check under the gas regs
[/quote]
there is a technical Buletin quoting that electricians can change a PCB inside a boiler if it doesnt effect the gas side, we would agrue that is going too far as a broken boiler will not produce CO, once the spark has fitted the new PCB and it then produces CO surely he must be to blame

In theory a faulty PCB (or incorrectly installed one) could hold open a gas valve with no flame or spark, which is a hazard.

The regs contradict eachother; in one section it goes into great detail as to what is a gas carrying part and what isn't, but then in another section it makes a sweeping statement referring to "any gas appliance" which could include changing the wire rack in an oven...

The Reg's state to check the 4 things mentioned and also to do a Tightness Test before and after breaking into a gas supply and again after working on it.

I know most people do a Tightness Test before a service, but some also do one again after. I'm not sure exactly if this needs to be done. But always worth doing.

Corgiman - do you always do a Tightness Test before any work on a gas appliance, ie boiler repair, service, etc?

allways when I am servicing, if something concerns me on a repair then yes I will whack a tt on.

do you know what i mean, something untangable catches your eye and concerns you about the install, hard to quantify.

or am I just mad

:)

This what happens when you get someone trained on quick course,they know everything but know sweet FA!

Get into the real world and not ACS land

Can anyone please tell me how to suck eggs!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back