Should AO gas cooker installer restart my boiler pilot light?

WSB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Should the AO gas cooker installer (gas safe) restart my boiler pilot light?

Just asking as am having this cooker delivered on Monday and I know relighting the pilot light on the boiler can be troublesome.

As part of the gas cooker installation, the AO gas safe engineer will need to test for pressure differences before and after cooker installation and hence will need to turn the gas off.

Just wondered whether I should expect him to restart my tricky boiler after this, to kind of put things back to how they were?

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Just how old is your boiler...last one I saw installed was 25 years ago.

Why would the AO installer be responsible for your boiler....if you had a washing machine fitted why would the installer be responsible for your shower ?

Do yourself a favour and get the boiler upgraded.

Just how old is your boiler...last one I saw installed was 25 years ago.

Why would the AO installer be responsible for your boiler....if you had a washing machine fitted why would the installer be responsible for your shower ?

Do yourself a favour and get the boiler upgraded.
I was thinking that as the boiler is running prior to the installation of cooker and the boiler is switched off as part of this, he may put things back to how they were and hence, relight the boiler.

The reason for this post was to ask what I can expect.

They won't. Other appliances are your responsibility.

If relighting the boiler is troublesome, it requires repair.

• Thanks
Reactions: WSB
Sponsored Links
Kind of like bump starting your car to get to the garage, to have new tyres fitted, and then expecting them to fit a new starter motor because the car was running when you got there?

Do you think it's due a new thermocouple?

• Thanks
Reactions: WSB
Should the AO gas cooker installer (gas safe) restart my boiler pilot light?

Just asking as am having this cooker delivered on Monday and I know relighting the pilot light on the boiler can be troublesome.

As part of the gas cooker installation, the AO gas safe engineer will need to test for pressure differences before and after cooker installation and hence will need to turn the gas off.

Just wondered whether I should expect him to restart my tricky boiler after this, to kind of put things back to how they were?

Many Thanks

If they find a drop on tightness test, they won't even be leaving you with gas on.

Had to do this for a customer recently, as cooker supplier (think it was AO) found a drop, turned gas off and told her she needed to call someone out. I found the compression nut loose on the cooker bayonet... They didn't even tighten that!

Tossers.

From AO website -
  • If an old boiler doesn’t relight after we’ve installed your new appliance, our team are not liable. Your provider will need to be contacted.

So if it won't light with the igniter you can't expect them to then get it going. I think that's fair enough tbh, fixed price equals fixed service no ifs or buts

Just to dispel what some have said, if AO turn the gas off, it is their responsibility to purge and relight following a tightness test or the decay of gas from a pipeline. Obviously if there is an issue where the boiler will not light, even with another form of ignition, say a match, then they’re not responsible, but should leave in a safe condition.

If they find a drop on tightness test, they won't even be leaving you with gas on.

Had to do this for a customer recently, as cooker supplier (think it was AO) found a drop, turned gas off and told her she needed to call someone out. I found the compression nut loose on the cooker bayonet... They didn't even tighten that!

Tossers.
Most probably wasn't even gas safe

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back