Rayburn Nouvelle gas boiler/cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This boiler/cooker is gas driven and has a balanced flue horizontally through the wall to the outside.

We have had this for around 20 years and for much of this time it worked really well, providing heating for the house and excellent cooking facilities. Then one day the cooker pilot light went out. The thermocouple was replaced but to no avail. Every time the cooker pilot light is lit it is okay for a while but when the boiler fires up, the cooker pilot light goes out.

We have now had two Rayburn approved heating engineers to examine it and one other. One told us to renew the gas supply from the meter in 22mm (it was 15mm) to increase the flow, which we did but this made no difference. All three heating engineers gave up and did not return, costing us a considerable sum.

Rayburn themselves do not have their own engineers who do this every day and would therefore likely understand what repair are necessary.

Does anyone have any idea what could be the cause of this problem?

Sponsored Links
I don't understand - what Forum rules?

If it was a simple repair, how come 3 separate heating engineers couldn't find the solution?

As I see it, either the pilot light flame is being starved of oxygen when the boiler fires up due to the exhaust gases contaminating the cooker burner chamber, or the gas pressure feeding the pilot light drops too low to sustain a pilot light flame.

At least have you any hints that I can pass on to a new heating engineer?

Sponsored Links
These appliances are basic and an approved engineer who has had training on this type should be able to repair this fault. BG have what they call Aga trained engineers, why not give them a go. At least they will stick at it until repaired and if not fixed 1st time any further calls will not be charged for.
How do I know this? I was one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back