Oil Fired Rayburn Nouvelle Cooker only reaches simmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can anyone help please. We have a oil fired Rayburn Nouvelle. I can pretty much service it myself but for some reason the COOKER side will not heat up beyond simmer(Cooker thermostat always on high). I have given the filters (one by tank, one next to boiler) a good clean, and given the oil pot a clean, as well as the oil control valves (C - cooker oil control valve). Central heating boiler works fine. I sometimes flick the electric switch to manual and the flow is set to 6 but it only just reaches Bake on the temperature. Has anyone got any ideas?

Many thanks

Aeron

Sponsored Links
What burner does it have? The 'toaster' or the 'Queen Mary'(three pots)?
When you clean the burner, do you take off the supply pipe and de-carbonise the oilways? when you replace it do you check the orientation and oil depth? When you clean the oil valve, do you clean the metering column? Have you checked the flow rate ?
On manual, you should have blue flame out of the top of the burner(s), are you getting this?

Thanks for your reply. I think I have the Queen Mary, there are 3 holes where u light the wicks then slide a cover to close the holes. When I cleaned it I did remove the oil pipe and de carb the oilways with a drill bit. I have never checked orientation and oil depth, to be honest I wouldn't have a clue how to and what to do if they weren't right. I cleaned the oil valve with a piece of paper into the tiny slit. How do you check flow rate and adjust if incorrect? There is a blue flame at the top of the burner, there is also one orange flame on the right hand side in amongst the blue flame.

Many thanks for your time and advice.

Regards

Aeron

You have the 'toaster' burner, and if you have orange flame on one side, this indicates that your burner is not level. You need to remove the top baffle and the burner shells. Remove the wicks, and check the level with a spirit level, both lengthways and sideways. Ensure that the legs are in the recesses of the cooker base. Then open up the oil flow and let the oil fill . After approx. 10-15 mins, check the depth of oil in each of the channels. it should be the same at both ends of each channel. The oil level depth should settle at 10mm throughout the whole burner. This is where the level is important. If your level is too low, then adjust by screwing the legs in, but ensure that you maintain absolute level of the burner. Once you are satisfied with this, replace the wicks and burner shells ensuring that they seat fully on the base, then replace the top baffle. As the boiler is ok, do not adjust the float control height to correct the discrepancy.
To check flow rate, you need a calibrated measure, into which you allow the feed pipe to drip over a periodof 2 mins . Divide the volume by 2 to get the 1 min rate, which should be 13cc at high fire.
Once all this is established, you can check operation using the manual lever to see if you get good constant flame. One other thing to check is that the flex-a-temp is opening up the control pin fully. after a couple of mins, there should be a discernible gap between the operating arm and the pin.
The other factor to check once it has warmed up is to check thermostat operation with an oven thermometer at the switching point.
Vapourising burners are simple. Do the simple things right and they will work.

Sponsored Links
OK. Thanks for that. I will have a go when I have some days off. No doubt I will be messaging u again.
Thanks for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back