Rayburn oil blockage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning,
We have a 60s Rayburn Royal cooker converted to run on oil with the regulator/control valve on the side. It is not pressurized nor has any electrical supply. It does not heat the water or central heating.
It is not working and I have traced the problem to a blockage in the regulator. I am slightly scared of taking the thing apart and wondered if I am likely to get into trouble if I do so!? I would be grateful to hear from anyone who has more knowledge than I.
Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
If you mean the BM control valve?

There are two screws at the bottom that retain a gauze filter.it is ok to remove it for cleaning.
Dismantling it any further is not recommended unless you know EXACTLY what you are doing.
You could end up burning the house down>

Thanks, TWF, I had not not even dared to remove those screws - I never knew there was a filter there! Will check that and no more.
Enjoy the snow.
A

It would also be best to disconnect the oil supply pipe and flush the line into a bucket until you are sure you have clean uncontaminated oil flowing, ie no dirt or water droplets. You can do it whilst the filter is out too. Will also clear any airlocks.

Check also the filter at the tank. These can get frozen condensation blocking them when it's really cold and even jelly like 'diesel bacteria' growing in the tank/filter bowl which clogs it up.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, Tipper, am having a go after lunch so will run it through as well. I thnk the tank is OK as the central heating boiler is running fine.
Regards,
A

Always the first place to look is the oil feed to th burner. disvonnrct at the inlet in the combustion chamber, remove burner, disconnect the fuel pipe and elbow, clean out clean ou t thte burner oilways, re-assemble, set square , check depth, refill, check oil depth.
Simple isn't it?

Thank you as well oilhead. I had already disconnected the elbow and ascertained that oil was not leaving the regulator. I have since cleaned the filter and flushed through some oil and now have a lovely warm Rayburn again. Thanks again to Tipper and Terrywookfit for their sound advice.
Mission accomplished.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back