What to replace an oil-fired rayburn with?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The Rayburn has been giving too much trouble so we've decided to replace it with a simple oil-fired boiler and electric cooker. I've had a couple of quotes, but in all cases the plumbers have recommended a floor-standing boiler,

One guy said it should be situated outside to avoid having oil smells in the kitchen and to reduce noise. Is this just the case with the particular make he's recommending (a Grant) or is it like that with all oil-fired boilers?

Both the plumbers who've quoted are suggesting floor-standing boilers. Is it not possible to have a wall-mounted oil-fired boiler? A friend's house has one which sits in the wall and is quite small, although that's about 15 years old. It certainly doesn't smell of oil, or make much noise, but it's situated in a kind of recess in the wall.

We don't need a combi, we already have a HW tank that the Rayburn heats, I would have thought the unit could be quite small. It's a two-bedroom house, so not particularly large.

thanks for any advice,
S.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
if you have put up with a noisy old rayburn PJ for 15 years then a Grant internal boiler will be bliss they are very quiet as oil boilers go!

pe ;) rsonally I would not fit a Worcester - too much plastic and nasty fiddly brackets to remove every service, the grant can be serviced much easier!!

Personally if I were installing an oil boiler I would go
with an external boiler. It just makes the install really easy.
I wouldn't go for a wall mounted oil boiler as this isn't
like a wall hung gas boiler and will usually mean a great square hole
in the wall. They are also very heavy so a two man job to
lift onto the wall. Floor standing is standard for oil boilers
due to the weight of the boiler. An oil boiler isn't your light
flimsy gas boiler and will easy last 20 years.

A small leak of heating oil will soon stink your kitchen out.

Even if the boiler is outside the heating controls of the system will
still be inside so this won't be an issue.

other advantage in respect to an external boiler is servicing. you wont have any mess internally , on a service. might pee the service engineer off on a rainy day though. trust me. but like mentioned any fumes from the boiler will be out of the kitchen and better fluing options. also with floor satnding less issues with the oil line ragards height. better choice of boiler range. etc. list goes on.

Well got the Grant going today and is suprisingly quiet being it hasn't a RDB burner on it. Standard round flue on it so just a 130mm hole to cut, boiler is heavy but at a push if your fit a one man lift as it is stripped off the backplate before fitting it. Boiler is about the size of an old Baxi gas BF approx 600x800.

We decided to put the thing outside in the end (floor standing).

Thanks for all the replies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back