Bit worried about gas cooker installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a new freestanding Indesit IT50GW cooker and according to the manual "the gas inlet for the cookers is a threaded G 1/2 gas female fitting." However my new cooker's inlet doesn't look like my old cooker's one which also has a 1/2" female connection. I don't know how to describe it except the new cooker has a pipe with a threaded female nut screwed onto it at the end that looks like it will take a hose.

Anyway I got a few quotes from Gas Safe cooker engineers to install my new cooker and the most expensive quote said that my cooker needed a £15 connector/adaptor to attach the hose to the cooker hence why the job would be a little more costly than usual. I wondered if maybe he was just BSing to get more money so I tested his theory by inserting my old cooker hose into the inlet and found that it was too tight to go in without maybe stripping threads so I concluded maybe the guy was right about an adaptor being needed. Anyway in the end I went with a cheaper quote that could also do the job sooner, however after the job was done and the engineer had gone I noticed that there was no adaptor between the hose and the cooker and now I'm a little worried - should there have been an adaptor? Below is a picture of the hose-to-cooker connection.

You read the occasional horror story sometimes about even Gas Safe engineers so I just want to make sure everything's safe.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back