Gas Boiler Noisy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As it's my first post, I would just like to start by saying HI to everyone.

I've recently had a new Vaillant Ecotec Plus 832 installed and would appreciate opinions regarding the noise it produces while fired up and heating the radiators. Pointed out this noise to the Gas Safe installer after installation, but he just gave me the impression it was normal?

I've searched YouTube for a Vaillant making a similar noise and found the below which is sounding the same as mine, though not my video and a different model to mine. The tapping / knocking / rattle I can hear seems to be coming from what I believe is possibly the Gas Valve? Any advice, help or opinions would be appreciated before deciding to call the installer back out. Thanks for reading this and any help.

Sponsored Links
It's normal. Gas valves on these are constantly adjusting and this makes a small noise. Should be hardly noticeable with the case on though. If you are worried you could call vaillant out under warranty to check it out. But i think you will be charged if there is no problem

Ps. I hope you haven't removed the case on your boiler. If you have turn it off and don't use it till you have it checked out by an rgi

Thanks for your reply TCCHeating
Done a lot of googling with regards to the noise and have concerns that if the noise is from the Gas Valve, whether it may be because the installer may have possibly not calibrated it? A Commissioning Guide for my boiler that I came across says that there is a Gas Type Check which needs to be performed which calibrates the Gas Valve with the Mass Flow Sensor and wondered whether this noise could be present if the calibration had not been done? I was with the installer when the commissioning was being done and can't recall him entering that part of the menu, though he may have done and I just possibly missed it.

Asked the installer to come and have a look and listen to the boiler, so would welcome any further opinions before he makes a visit (y)

Sponsored Links
Hi Gaswizard, thanks very much for your reply

Firstly regarding my second post, the installer confirmed he did not need to calibrate the Gas Valve via the installers menu, as the boiler is already set for natural gas from the factory.

I know he did gas flue readings as he was using some sort of analyser which printed off a long strip of paper which he asked me to sign as proof of being done, never got a copy myself but he did assure me all figures were within the correct range. Information I do have though is what he has entered on the commissioning checklist of the installation manual, assuming I am reading the right part of what you are asking for? The red being the area the installer filled in.

At max rate: CO 76 ppm AND CO/CO2 Ratio 0.0008
At min. rate (where possible) CO 1 ppm AND CO/CO2 Ratio 0.0000

Also, not sure if this is a problem or not but the boiler has a symbol which shows a flame when the burner is on and while heating the radiators the flame symbol is always showing low and never gets higher, unlike when you are drawing off domestic hot water. Just thought that when heating the radiators, the flame would start low and slowly get higher over a short period of time?

Thanks again

Flue gas readings are what would be expected.
These gas valves are extremely noisy , i fitted one in my previous place so realise you are not exaggerating.

Flue gas readings are what would be expected.
These gas valves are extremely noisy , i fitted one in my previous place so realise you are not exaggerating.

Thanks very much for the reply Gaswizard, sounds as though it may be common then. May possibly be something like its solenoid, assuming they have one.

Just feeding back regarding the above and the outcome of my installers visit.

Firstly, he informed me that he had performed the Gas Type Check for Gas Valve calibration, but apparently misunderstood what I had asked him over the telephone, but said he would run it again anyway. The results were a Gas Valve being a lot quieter than it was and the flame symbol on the boiler display can now be seen to slowly increase which I had never noticed before. So outcome being, Gas Valve still a little noisy as Gaswizard confirmed but a lot quieter than it was IMO and the radiators heat up to full temperature in around half the time than previous. Thanks and hope may be useful information for others.

P.S. Would also like to ask advice about the displayed temperature on the boiler regarding the DHW, so hopefully won't mind me starting another thread :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back