gas boiler pilot goes out when off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I have another question about my gas boiler.

my parents boiler when it is off i.e. CH and HW is off, i can still see a faint flame in the pilot hole.

With my boiler, the flame goes out completely when its off, and it takes about 3 secs to relight and work if CH or HW is on.

Is this normal or is it dependant on the boiler?

mine is a Glowworm ultimate 30 (i think) and parents is a ideal classic RS30.

Sponsored Links
Without being sarcastic

Your boiler has electronic ignition, you will hear a click, click, click of the spark to ignite the gas from the pilot. The classic also has an electronic
version, but I I've not come across the perm pilot version (a bit old)

There is the possibility that the pilot gas valve at your parents' is "letting by" i.e. leaking but the flame is not enough to reach the electrode (else the pcb would not allow the boiler to fire up

You need to check whether they have a thermocouple or whether the pcb is a 25/25B which will be electronic ignition

The RS30 is the balanced flue version of the Classic and will have a standing pilot. The Fan flue versions were designated NF or FF.

mine is the RS30 FF.

So i guess this is normal for me but maybe i need to check out the parents one.

Sponsored Links
Have a look outside. If it's a big square flue it will have a standing pilot if it's a little round one it could have either.

This what it looks like:

P1000623Copy.jpg

P1000621Copy.jpg

Mine is small round pilot hole, same as my parents

Your parents boiler has a problem with the gas valve letting by to the pilot if it is the same as that. You need to get a gas safe registered engineer to fit a new valve.

Your parents boiler has a problem with the gas valve letting by to the pilot if it is the same as that. You need to get a gas safe registered engineer to fit a new valve.

Above, you said it was a standing pilot (by which I presume you mean permanent pilot). If so, then these should be, as they say, a permanent pilot and it's not letting throuigh, it should be there all the time. Would you like to clarify one way or the other before the OP wastes money on getting a fitter in

Above, you said it was a standing pilot (by which I presume you mean permanent pilot). If so, then these should be, as they say, a permanent pilot and it's not letting throuigh, it should be there all the time. Would you like to clarify one way or the other before the OP wastes money on getting a fitter in

Just to put it into simple terms, looking through the pilot hole of my parents boiler, I can see a small blue flame when CH or HW is off. When either is turned on, it clicks and a big flame appears.

They dont use the programs and chose to manually turn them on.

On my one, its the same except that the flame is out when I dont use the boiler.

Are you really that mentally deficient? The original boiler type that the OP mentioned was stated as being an RS model. This is a balanced flue model with a standing pilot. In later posts it is now evident that the parents boiler is a glow worm ultimate FF model which do not have a standing pilot and no pilot should be visible when there is no call for heat. As the pilot appears to be visible at all times there is an issue with the gas control valve letting by which needs rectifying by a registered gas engineer.

It's now up to the OP whether he takes the advice of a registered gas engineer with 30 years experience and specific experience of maintaining around 100 Glow Worm Ultimates for a housing association or an internet warrior who obviously has a grudge against gas installers and thinks that throwing PCBs at boilers will solve everything.

my parents boiler is NOT a glowworm.

My parents boiler is an Ideal Classis RS30 and I have a glowworm Ultimate 30 FF which is confirmed to be working.

My parents property is rented so I can get the Housing Association to fixed this, just didnt want to uncessarilly called them and get charged for no fault.

So at the moment, mine is fine but my parents one must be leaking gas as the flame in the pilot hole is constantly on (with HW or CH off) but on a very low flame.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back