Boiler pilot won't stay lit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, or CH/HW boiler is a slightly long in the tooth Glow-worm Fuelsaver 25-40, which has been working fine until this morning, when the pilot was found to be out. Tried to relight it, and it relit fine, nice strong flame. Held the knob in for 30 secs, let go and poof, out it went. Tried several times and same result every time.

Began to wonder if the thermocouple which sits in the pilot flame might be faulty. Can anyone advise? Also, if it is the thermocouple, which is basically just a couple of spade connectors, am I OK to change it myself, as it won't mean any work on the gas system?

Sponsored Links
If it means entry into the combustion box you will falling foul of the regs. As such i can't advise you. This site doesn't offer help of diy gas work. Sorry

It's a job for a RGI as to get to the T/couple you have to remove the combustion box cover, also there may be another reason for the pilot not holding, such as faulty overheat stat or faulty power unit in the gas control so best in the long run to get a Gas Engineer in ;)

Sponsored Links
No hot water for three weeks?

Firstly you should really have an electric immersion heater fitted and working for any times the boiler is not working.

Secondly, at the time of year most engineers can come the next day in not the same day. We aim to go to anyone the same day if they call us before 1100hrs. A couple of weeks ago I went to two who called me after 1500hrs but they were lucks as they both lived close to each other.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back