Myson Apollo 30/50 Pilot won't stay lit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon to one and all.
My rather ancient Myson Apollo 30/50 has been having the same problem over the last few years - ie, the boiler goes out and the pilot goes out and won't relight. I can get a flame when I hold in the button that you have to press when you light it, but when I release this button the pilot dies. Last year when it did this, I kept trying and trying to keep the pilot going and eventually it stayed lit, and stayed lit for 10 months. On previous occasions I've had plumbers change thermocouples and the hi/lo thermostats and had the boiler serviced which has kind of done trick, but has never really solved it as the same thing seems to happen every year. I changed the thermocouple yesterday and still no luck(the pilot flame IS going directly onto the thermocouple when I depress the starting button). I have a Corgi chap due to come round this evening to investigate. As far as my research tells me, the problem could be one of a few things - Overheat stat(that's attached to interrupter on the thermocouple), the hi or lo thermostats, the pilot injector or indeed the gas valve - the last of which I believe is a rather more costly problem. One thing I have noticed, is that when the hi/low/off button is switched from off to hi or low, there is a kind of light buzzing sound as if the system is being prevented from working, I have never noticed this noise when the boiler is on and working normally - could this mean that one of my thermostats is dead and therefore not allowing the boiler to function?
Anyone here shed any light on this, please?
Thanks in advance and apologies for such a long question!!

Sponsored Links
so what was the problem afetr all? i currently have the very same symptoms on my boiler. thanks

Sponsored Links
Similar symptoms may not mean the same fault.

Measure the resistance of the gas valve thermocouple connection with the T/C disconnected, if it's less than 3 ohms the pilot part of the gas valve is OK. Next suspect the T/C, interrupter connections, overheat 'stat, and low/high control 'stats.

Without the results of the gas valve resistance it's as vague as that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back