Glow Worm Economy 40 help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, (please bear with me, I'm a novice!)

We recently purchsed a house. As we weren't moving in straight away, I turned off the heating and hot water (from the timer), but left the pilot light on.

This week, we had the fireplace changed. This involved isolating the gas at the incomer and therefore the pilot light turned off. The fireplace fitter couldn't get the pilot relit and recommended that we changed the thermocouple. I bought a generic thermocouple from wickes, fitted it, and still no pilot.

I revert to refitting back in the old thermocouple, and would you believe it, the pilot lit. I tried it numerous times and it relit.

As I suspected that a kink in the thermocouple was causing the issue, I then put a small kink in it, and the pilot wouldn't relight. Straightened it, and it relit.. I repeated this, but now it won't relight again. Note that I didn't kink in the same place everytime and the thermocouple isn't stressed - I also have good continuity along the thermocouple)

Has anyone got any ideas, I'm otherwise tempted to call in a plumber.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
You seem to have a fireplace fitter who is apparently not gas safe registered.

You get the pilot working and then proceed to put "kinks" in the thermocouple apparently for no good reason until it stops working.

The only good advice I can give you is to get a proper registered gas engineer who will be able to sort out your boiler and check the work of this unregistered fireplace fitter.

The law requires persons who are doing gas work to be registered!

Tony

Fitter was gas safe registered, and the bends on the thermo where only introduced when routing through the gland at the back.

Thanks for the help, I'll ring up a local fitter.

Sponsored Links
If the fireplace fitter was indeed registered then it seems very odd that he was apparently unable to fix your boiler pilot light problem for you.

Even more unusual that he seemed to be encouraging you to do illegal gas work to your boiler!

Whilst I would agree that you are now considering getting another registered engineer to deal with the boiler. Most people usually stick to someone they know.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back