gas central heating light constantly on - huge bill!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
this might be a long one. we moved into a property on the 14th. we've received our first gas bill and it's £74 for 17 days worth of usage.

it's a gloworm baxi duo tech boiler. the central heating light is constantly on. the burner light only comes on sometimes. there is no timer on the boiler and the thermostat (in the freezing kitchen) can be rendered useless as it doesn't control the boiler whatsoever.

we're in a semi 3 bedroom rented property. the landlord wont/hasnt adressed the situation. i'm just wondering if anyone could help? or have any idea how i can control the boiler and my heating? i simply cannot afford that bill amount.

the radiators are constantly on but they are not boiling to the touch. the only way to make them hotter is by turning the temp up on the boiler itself.

Sponsored Links
Turn the temperature on the boiler up until the radiators are getting
hot. Simply don't pay the rent until a timer and wall thermostat is
installed in the house to control boiler and temperature of house.
There might be thermostatic valves on the radiators turn these down
to 3 so they shut the radiator off if the room is warm.

we've received our first gas bill and it's £74 for 17 days worth of usage.
Is that just for the gas, or does it include standing charges etc?

it's a gloworm baxi duo tech boiler.
Baxi and Gloworm are not connected.

the landlord wont/hasn't addressed the situation.
He has a legal obligation to provide a working heating/hot water system.

Speak to Citizens Advice or Environmental Health at your Local Council.

Sponsored Links
Even with the boiler on 24/7 that still seems too high a bill.
I assume you took readings of the meter when you moved in and the bill has an accurate reading too, not an estimate?

As mentioned before Baxi and glowworm are two different manufacturers, sounds like a Baxi duotec has been installed without a timer so is running all the time.

As a temporary measure you can either turn the selector switch on left hand side of boiler to 0 (off) but then it won't fire for hot water demand, so best to either turn the boiler heating thermostat to lowest setting or turn all your thermostats at radiator down until you get new heating controls fitted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back