Gas Consumption

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I've just moved into a 3 bedroom semi-detached property from a 2 bedroom mid terraced property. There are 3 occupants including myself.

The new property has loft insulation but currently no cavity wall insulation. There are 9 radiators in the house with TRVs on all but the hall and both bathrooms. There is currently no room thermostat. The shower is ran from DHW.

We are currently using on average about 8 cubic metres of Gas per day over the last 2 weeks. It has been quite cold but the usage seems quite high?

I wondered what everyone else's usage stats were?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Every homes usage is unique, so comparisons are pointless, a stat would be my first addition [wireless would be easy fix] as your current set up relies on the boilers stat which is wasteful.
Age and type of boiler is a major factor.?

The average house, and a three bed semi is pretty average, uses about £1400 of gas and electricity per year.

That is falling by about 10% as energy companies start to reduce their tariffs.

Cavity wall insulation helps a lot. Can reduce by about 25% if everything else is up to standard.

So yours seems about right to me!

Tony

Thanks for the replies.

Boiler is a brand new condensing combi fitted just before we moved in. Room stat being fitted next week and cavity wall will be done for free by BG as soon as pointing is sorted!

Sponsored Links
Double check that your meter is metric, my old flat had one which counted cubic feet.

Thanks for the replies.

Boiler is a brand new condensing combi fitted just before we moved in. Room stat being fitted next week and cavity wall will be done for free by BG as soon as pointing is sorted!

I do wish I could find a way to get BG to do some blown loft insulation!

They have done it for others but refuse!

Thanks for the replies.

I do wish I could find a way to get BG to do some blown loft insulation!

They have done it for others but refuse!

1920s 3 Bed Semi. Small amount of loft insulation, no cavity wall insulation, double glazing prob 10 years plus old, 3 occupants, 1 home all day, 8 Radiators, room stat at 18c during day, 18.5c night. Combi Boiler non condensing 10 years old. Gas usage up to 10m3 per day in really cold sanaps but when weather milder in winter more like 6-8.

Obviously summer vastly lower, as full year average usage is about 3m3 a day (summer as low as 0.6) and last year full year equates to about 12,500kwh which makes us a medium user.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back