Gas Cooker Connection - Can It Be Done?

Probably would if I was feeling generous, even if Benny did not want it.

I do feel a little stupid fitting a stab chain to a 110 kilo range cooker which I can hardly move let alone tip over!
You could always loose the flexible hose and hard pipe it.:)

Sponsored Links
"alarmbenjy, post: 3743748, member: 171845

I expect to ask an RGI to come and connect my cooker when it arrives next week. He will have to fit a bayonet fitting £5 in screw-fix and connect the pipe to the cooker. Job done.

Really?
Your pipe at 300mm will be too low to comply, and possibly to not impgine on part of the cooker. If it is in the centre of the opening it may have to be moved anyway. The pipe may be copper with a bent 1/2" x 15mm attached but not secure. None of this is a big deal, but it means it not just screwing in a valve. The cooker often has some assembly required. We are required to explain use of the cooker. Some punters expect us to explain the vagaries of a timer (They are all different,so I refer them to the book). Plus, of course the stability chain. Total waste of time and money IMO, but rules are there.And if you say to use the crap that comes with the cooker, I will sulk.

Sorry but I will not be giving part payments to anybody.

I probably used the wrong term, but was trying to be concise. Some years ago, I stopped fitting cookers altogether as they are a PITA. More often than not, I would turn up, fight my way through the crap in the kitchen. Unpack the cooker to find the MI's. Then find the clearances do not comply. Or the gas supply to the kitchen was cut off when the boiler was changed. So, at that point, I have booked out time, started the job, then have to abort. Then explain everything. Sometimes have to write warning labels and forms (that the RGI pays for) It often takes longer NOT to do a job then complete it. The final straw was a range cooker. Brand new white kitchen fitted by the previous owners (obviously bought to do up and sell on). The cooker point was a mess, an the cooker required clearances to the top cupboards. The punters argued with me, as I would not fit it - they had bought (they claim) EXACTLY the same cooker as was in previously. I asked them who they would blame if the nice white cabinets started to burn or discolour?. I probably spent over an hour there, trying to be polite and reasonable - and guess what?Never heard from them again, no doubt 'cos they did a DIY job or got someone that was not bothered with requirements. Another job , Currys or similar had turned up, did not like lack of ventilation so took cooker away again. I was there soon after, servicing a fire, but spent ages explaining the problem (the guys were correct in their actions), and what I would have to do to overcome. They said they will keep using the old one and hopefully get a refund. Next year I serviced the fire - and hey ho, they have nice new shiny cooker, no ventilation, conservatory built across the back so no openable doors and windows.
You mention a DF lead? If this is to be hard wired, as opposed to a flex, then you should be using a qualified person.as tests should be done. Some here ARE qualified for both gas and elec (but they only tidy up on gas jobs:sneaky:). If the wire is hanging from a NEW cooker, then I think that is normally a plug required.
So, although now I do fit cookers occasionally, I ask all the questions on the phone. If they have already bought the cooker, I give them a price, with the proviso that if there is a problem with the site conditions the job will be aborted/delayed and a charge of £xx will be collected at the time, and the balance If they don't like this, then fair enough, they can find another RGI. If they have not bought the cooker, then I do a pre-survey, and probably some tests. This saves the hassle of them ordering an inappropriate appliance.

Either way, I am not spending time messing around and not getting paid. And people like the OP are why we get ****ed off.They expect us to take all the wasted time on the chin. Sorry but I will not be giving free time to anybody.

OP: Your apparent lack of funds has no bearing in the costs of running a business, or the value of an RGI's time. Which is why I always explain EXACTLY how I charge, before leaving the house. As soon as you start complaining you are poor, then I tend to lose interest

Curry's said (for those still looking for an answer if coming across my thread, is word of mouth mind you: The charge of £85 is for the delivery and installation of Gas cookers and £100 for dual fuel. He said the installer would fit a bayonet adapter to the 1/2 thread gas pipe and supply whatever parts it took to connect a new cooker purchased from Curry's, so apparently we would not have a problem buying from them

They normally allow the basic fittings plus 1M of tube. But will be aborted if, say, the pipe is on the "wrong" side of a cabinet. Remember, they have a wagon load of freezers and washing machines to install as well:sneaky:

I thank everyone that has provided helpful comments.

You mean the comments that met with your preconceptions?

Steel: I understand, but I only work local. I am much happier doing a presurvey, if the cooker has not yet been purchased, but with the conditions above, and for the reasons above

Last edited:
I once had to go to connect a washing machine delivered by Currys but not connected because of an irrelevant reason.

The washing machine valve was jammed on!

But 300 mm below it was a stopcock which could equally be used to turn off the water!

So Currys paid me about £94 to come out on a Saturday afternoon to fit it. They had not bargained for a very aggressive Scotsman!

I am a person on a low income with the words MUG written on my forehead that I am desperately trying to remove. :rolleyes: I had a professional do some electrical work for me, I had to go behind them myself to put the screws in the terminal which fell out when I removed the cover.:mad: I had a professional electrician wire the very cooker we have just removed; he used a lower fuse rating switch on the main board that kept blowing when using the oven and hobs,:mad: I went behind him and done it myself. I had a professional corgi gas installer, that was the name for a professional at the time, cap off an old gas heater, it was still leaking, my grandfather sorted it for us.

Why, and this seems a common issue here, do some folk attract ALL the dodgy trades on all their jobs?
Edited: Freudian slip - fool instead of folk

12994495_471358729727198_3542708716022590829_n.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
And the same people are always able to put the professional's job right afterwards!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back