gas cooker installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive just had a new gas cooker delivered (bit not installed yet as kitchen aint quite done).

Ive been told by t Cogri chap that I need to have a stability plate bolted to the floor. However, Ive not found any on the internet, and Im wondering if this is a legal requirement? Obviously we need a chain etc, but the old cooker had no plate, and Id rather not bolt anything to the floor to be honest - and since u dont seem to be able to buy them that easily, Im wondering if I really need one?

Cheers.

Rob

PS - if I were to install cooker myself, presumably Id be invalidating my insurance if anything went wrong!?

Sponsored Links
If you installed it yourself you would be breaking the law......it would be up to any individual insurance company to decide if it would pay a claim but believe me...you give em an excuse...they will wriggle. It is a requirement that a freestanding cooker have either a stability plate (preferable) or at least a restraint chain fitted. Stability plates ARE easily available. I dont see the issue. The plate won't be visible once fitted. Let the RGI do his job...it for your and your families safety......think on

The corgi chap will supply the bracket, very easy to ccome by. Sometimes if the floor is concrete and the whereabouts of service pipes/cables is unknown I will use a chain instead. Th purpose of which is to prevent the cooker from tipping over. Children have been known to stand on the oven/grill doors (especially the fold down type) in an effort to see the hotplates with life threatening consequences.

The law is simple....nothing wrong with installing the cooker yourself providing you're competent and abide by the regulations. The fact that you ask these questions is sufficient proof you are not, so your installation would therefore be illegal.

There is a whole lot more to installation than just sticking a hose on the cooker. :)

Sponsored Links
Whenever I price for a cooker install, the price always includes for a new hose, chain or stability bracket

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back