gas emergency shut-off valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a house with a gas emergency shut-off valve at the (external) meter but nothing at the point at which the pipe enters the property. I understand that it's good practice to provide one as soon as practically possible after the pipe enters the building - but is this a Building (and/or Gas Safety) regulation, or just a good practice recommendation?

Illustration (a) on page 80 of the hse's Safe installation guidance shows a shut-off valve at the external meter but it's unclear (to me anyway) whether an additional valve needs to be provided immediately on entering the property, or only at the appliance(s).

http://www.hse.gov.uk/aboutus/meetings/hseboard/2013/250913/psepb1389-b.pdf

Sponsored Links
It depends on what kind of property it is. The rules are different for flats to houses

In that case the external ECV is sufficient, there's no requirement or need to have an internal valve

Sponsored Links
Then no I don't need one
A basic explanation would be...an AECV is for blocks of flats where there meter is either not accessible or not reasonably accessible in an emergency.

A lot of gas supplies in houses will leave the meter through the wall and not reappear until it reaches the appliance.

There's a paragraph next to a symbol of a shut off valve that reads "Gas emergency control - situated as near as is reasonably practical to the point
where the pipe supplying gas enters the premises or building (see also
paragraph 2 of this appendix"

There's a paragraph next to a symbol of a shut off valve that reads "Gas emergency control - situated as near as is reasonably practical to the point
where the pipe supplying gas enters the premises or building (see also
paragraph 2 of this appendix"

And what of Picture A of that appendix?

Situation of the OP is fine.

Yes, precisely my question. The illustration shows an ECV apparently adjacent an appliance but legend states that the ECV is as close as is practical to the pipe entry point. See my point?

Anyway, if you're all happy, then I'm happy.

OK, it shows a Gas emergency control (according to the legend) but calls it an Appliance Shut-off device. ECV stands for Emergency Control Valve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back