Gas exhaust and light problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm trying to find out if what i want to do is against the rules and more important dangerous?

I have a gas exhaust from a combi boiler on the wall where i want to place a security light. The sizes are in the diagram below. Could anyone who knows the rules tell me if this is going to contravine any rules or be a hazard.

The position would be best left or right of the Red exhaust position, but i'm worried about efflux and heat and the possible flammable properties of the exhaust gasses?? basically any help will be appreciated.

Thanks all..

Dinger

gasexhaustandlightproblem.jpg

Sponsored Links
dont have one of them horrible lights they light everything but where you want, they also stop you seeing what you want as they are pointing at you.

Problem solved. ;)

i think you would be better off asking in plumbing, its a boiler ventilation question really. but do bear in mibnd the heat output is phenominal

cheers breezer.

its a low wattage and aimed down at the ground as i dont want to blind the neighbours hence the position. If i left it where the burke before me put it i'll have jets lining up to land in my back garden....

howd i put this post in another forum??

dinger541 said:
howd i put this post in another forum??

you and i can not, only mods can, i was suggesting you ask the same question in plumbing

Sponsored Links
In theory when you burn hydrocarbons properly, the combustion products are carbon dioxide and water vapour, e.g. for methane:

CH4 + 2O2 = CO2 + 2H2O

The problem is that NG is not always 100% hydrocarbons, and combustion is not always perfect.

Combustion products can easily be corrosive, but AFAIK not flammable, and with modern efficient boilers, not very hot either (hence the problems with corrosive condensate).

iirc most combustion produces some sulphur dioxide which can easilly become sulphuric acid when it mixes with water.

You will not have a problem with the light from the perspective of the gas regs, assuming the makers in instructions from the boiler don't say otherwise, and assuming the light is not so large as to obscure the air flow around the vent. :LOL:
However, you might, as others have alluded have a corrosion problem if you place the lamp in the line of fire of the flue. I'd place it slightly below, and to one side or the other of the flue centre line - hot gas rising and all that. If the boiler is fan assisted then the bulk of the plume will spray a foot or so from the wall anyway - I'd suggest waving your hand near it while its on - very carefully, and not breathing the fumes of course, if you have any doubts as to where the gas flow is.

regards M.

plugwash said:
iirc most combustion produces some sulphur dioxide which can easilly become sulphuric acid when it mixes with water.

Yup - that's why I said:
The problem is that NG is not always 100% hydrocarbons
Up to 5% Hydrogen Sulphide is not unknown, but most of this will be scrubbed out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back