gas fire - fireboard surrounds, fixing fireboards?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My query concerns the use of non-combustible surrounds (i.e. fireboards) around 'hole in the wall' gas fires, and methods of fixing the fireboards to the chimney brickwork.

I'm planning to get a 'hole in the wall' gas fire installed into my chimney. I have a 'gas safe' engineer lined up to install the fire. His recent advice hasn't been great. I wish I could switch fitters, but he's already bought the fire, so I feel I need to continue with him.

1. The gas fire will sit on the existing hearth base. But I want the chimney breast brickwork to be covered up (its really ugly brickwork).
The 15cm wall surrounding the gas fire needs to be 'non-combustible'. I think my options are to use a fireboard like supralux or masterboard, or perhaps vermaculite. Any preference?

2. What about fixing the fireboard to the chimney brickwork? Depending on choice of fireboard, would it have to be metal fixings, or has anyone experience of adhesives - fire-proof cements etc?

3. I plan to paint the fireboard afterwards - not plaster. I think I'll get a professional decorator to ames tape - anyone experience of ames taping fireboards?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back