Gas Fire not Igniting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have a Gas Fire that is remote controlled

When I attempt to fire it up I hear the fire attempt to start i.e. the arm moves forward to attempt to spark but there is no ignition

Battery on remote tested and 9V and also battery in fire tested 7.2 V

Any Ideas on what this could be , I havent had it serviced in 3 years , we get a lot of debris from the chimmeny is it likely to be blocked

Thanks

Stephen

Sponsored Links
7.2v? Sounds like a lithium battery, they will test at full voltage but when low wont spark, or if they do they will go through the sequence then shut off. Battery is about £30 if it is the type im thinking of, worth trying that first... If no luck then call a pro ;)

Sponsored Links
I haven't had it serviced for 3 years and debris comes down the chimney! I think you've answered your own question....I give up :rolleyes:

7.2v? Sounds like a lithium battery, they will test at full voltage but when low wont spark, or if they do they will go through the sequence then shut off. Battery is about £30 if it is the type im thinking of, worth trying that first... If no luck then call a pro ;)
Yes its 2 x 3.6V lithium battery in a plastic case..I priced a battery up at 35 pound the same price a service would cost :)

who services a gas fire for £35 quid. wouldn't turn me van on for that.. :rolleyes: £90

Its his day off so he does it half price.... 90 quid :eek: If you turned up at my house Id have the parts you need access to right in front of you... how much would you charge now ?

It's funny how folk make sure that their boilers are serviced every year yet give little thought to the state of their gas fire. Soooo often you see a well maintained boiler with a CO alarm on it or near and then you see the gas fire in the living room looking like it hadn't been touched for years... :confused:

who services a gas fire for £35 quid. wouldn't turn me van on for that.. :rolleyes: £90

Its his day off so he does it half price.... 90 quid :eek: If you turned up at my house Id have the parts you need access to right in front of you... how much would you charge now ?

To my mind, if a fire needs parts, then it needs repairing not servicing so the price for the service stays the same but since the fire needs pulling out and the coals and the like removing anyway I would fit the parts that you supply (Provided that any safety critical parts are new and in the original packaging) free of charge

Its his day off so he does it half price.... 90 quid :eek: If you turned up at my house Id have the parts you need access to right in front of you... how much would you charge now ?[/quote]

If he is moonlighting, he is almost cetainly nt registeered in his own right, and therefore illegal. He, and therfore you won't be insured, and he is probably nicking the test materials and possibly van fuel. So don't use him as a fair basis for comparison aginst an expense paying legal guy.

Stephen

I had the ignition problem with my remote control fire. It turned out to be the PCB at fault. My installer told me they had made a revision to the PCB and to fix it would have to buy a new new upgraded PCB.

I didnt bother with the new PCB and connected a piezo ignitor into the circuit which works a treat. Got to make sure you connect it correctly so the flame rectification circuit still works :)

D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back