Gas fire place leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Have a gas fire place which had a small leak, it's been capped off but wondering cost to fix? Who do I call? I tried a gas engineer but said he wouldn't touch it as it's inside the fire place most likely.

Any ideas or recommendations and average cost?!

Essex area

Thanks

Sponsored Links
small leak ? as in it failed a smoke test ? if so it may be a easy repair with cement or it may require a flue liner fitting

Assuming you're talking of a leaking gas pipe into the gas fire. Who capped the pipe off, and how was the leak detected.

But as we don't know the exact scenario, can you explain in a little more detail.

We smelt gas near the fire place, so called the gas board who capped it off using a valve next to the gas fireplace.

The wife is saying she wants it working, and no one is prepared to look/fix as guessing they'll need some gas fire place knowledge. Not 100% sure where leak is but assuming its the actual fire place.

Sponsored Links
Probably time for a new fire. I doubt anyone will want to try and repair the fire internals?

Probably time for a new fire. I doubt anyone will want to try and repair the fire internals?

Why not?
A gas service engineer is there to engineer a solution. Not just to flog a new one.

OP: Look for the gas Safe register website. There is a "find installer" section where you can specify your requirements and will point you to your nearest ticket holding RGI

Last edited:
Im afraid its another example of the throw away society in which we live in.Its not as simple as thinking that engineers do not wish to take things to bits and repair.Often the appliances are not designed to be taken apart and parts replaced.Quite often dismantling leads to further breakage,chasing parts,and the customer wants the appliance repaired same day for £10...Often it just aint worth the hassle!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back