Removing capped gas fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Do I need to hire an engineer to remove a gas fire that has already been capped at the meter end?

We recently bought the property and had the gas checked, finding a leak in the fire. The supply to the fire was immediately capped beside the meter as the fire wasn't safe for use. It was not capped at the fire end. Are we safe to remove it or do we need to get a pro in?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Some here will argue otherwise, but the short answer is carry on. The proviso: you did not intend to have another fire. If you do , greater care wI'll be necessary with the connection.

So you are willing to put yours and your families life at risk for the sake of saving a bit money...crack on.How do you intend checking it is gas tight before and after.How do you know you will not disturb a gas pipe causing a leak....

Some here will argue otherwise, but the short answer is carry on. The proviso: you did not intend to have another fire. If you do , greater care wI'll be necessary with the connection.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Sorry, another question... Would the remaining pipe be best left in place or removed? There's about 4ft between the fire and the capped end.

Sponsored Links
"Lots of laughs" I think is the expression...do what you like ..

So you are willing to put yours and your families life at risk for the sake of saving a bit money...crack on.How do you intend checking it is gas tight before and after.How do you know you will not disturb a gas pipe causing a leak....

Woah, that's a bit uncalled for! There's a reason I'm asking the question, to determine what type of job it is, not about saving money. I wouldn't call somebody in to put up a shelf or change a light bulb! I'm wondering whether there is a safety issue since there is no supply reaching the fire.

yes...its a safety issue..you know that or would not be asking.

yes...its a safety issue..you know that or would not be asking.

I think he has asked the question to know if it is a safety issue. Again idiots reply for no other reason than to get a rise out of someone. My ignore list is growing. Jog on durham :p

I think he has asked the question to know if it is a safety issue. Again idiots reply for no other reason than to get a rise out of someone. My ignore list is growing. Jog on durham :p

Thank you! That is exactly why she (;)) asked the question. If I knew I wouldn't need to ask!

Would it not be a better use of your time, durham, to offer some constructive advice rather than just having a go in, what seems to be, an attempt to feel superior! We're not all qualified plumbers you know.

If the fire is no longer connected to the gas supply then there is nothing to stop you from removing it yourself, but you have to be certain that it is no longer connected.

If the fire is no longer connected to the gas supply then there is nothing to stop you from removing it yourself, but you have to be certain that it is no longer connected.

Yep, definitely not connected - 1ft gap between capped ends of the "live" gas pipe and pipe for the fire. No other gas pipes along that direction either. Thanks!

Have you carried out a soundness check at any point after removing the pipework...If not...you are placing your life at risk..The analogy of replacing a light bulb is v v inaccurate.I would compare it more to servicing your car brakes when you do not have a clue,then riding around with your family in it..If you have half a brain cell of course you know it's dodgy messing with gas if you are not compayent.even in your own home.And the mere fact you come on here seeking advice proves you have not a clue.I have no axe to grind.Only 30 years of experience with gas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back