Gas fire removal

28 May 2007
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I am moving to a new property next week which is fitters with a gas fire. I wish to replace the fire with an electric one and also remove the fire surround.

Am I in order to turn off the gas supply and remove the gas fire myself please. I did this with a gas hob in the kitchen a few years ago but wondered if regulations have changed in any way? The tap it well hidden and there is no danger of it being turned on accidentally due to its position.


Sponsored Links
Not unless you cap off the supply properly and do a tightness test.

Leaving an uncapped pipe with an isolator is asking for trouble
Steve, Hi

Don't even think about it!

As I recall within the last 18 months there have been at least two, MAJOR events where the Property that had a gas leak was totally demolished, the immediate surrounding properties were very, very severely damaged, these properties requiring to be in effect Re-Built, not to mention the fatalities that ensued?

Do you seriously want to appear in front of a high court judge charged with what could be a charge of Manslaughter? this is how serious this could get?

Get a -Gas Safe- used to be -Corgi registered- Professional to do the work SAFELY do not mess with a Gas supply, there are laws against tampering with Gas unless you are -Qualified to do so-

I am not trying to Impress, just do not mess with a gas Supply.


Sponsored Links
Ok, all understood!

I'll get it done by a gas safe plumber.

Thanks for your replies



DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local