Gas fire replacement, enough support?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently remove a terrible fire surround and am going to replace this with a new fire, surround and hearth.

It looks as though the original fire was removed and the resulting hole was reduced using bricks and mortar to leave a tight enough space for the new (i.e. current) fire.

A couple of questions:
Is there a requirement for a lintle in this set up, or is it just behind the plaster further up the chimney breast? (didn't want to take out the current fire and create a problem)

What is the best plan of attack for installation of the new suite, I was thinking remove fire, refit (using a CORGI qualified installer) make good the walls around the fire with either plaster board and plaster, or just fill and cover with the surround back, then add the mantle and hearth.

Any tips or help you can offer please?

see image:
Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
if it were me...i'd get the chimney inspected to make sure its useable and working effectively as a flue first.
then a builder to check structure and tidy up and make good.
then the fire and fireplace can be installed as normal.

Since the chimney is going to take the gases away from the fire its important that its checked at an early stage.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Ditto, you may find that you need a flue liner installing. Incidentally you should get yourself a GasSafe registered installer NOT a CORGI one as CORGI is no longer the approved registration scheme for gas installers (although some now carry registration to both, which is fine, but they MUST be Gas Safe to work on gas).

My plan of attack would be:-

1=get an RGI to remove the old fire and carry out a smoke test on the chimney(make sure he is qualified to work on fires,it`s on the back of his I.D.card).

2=get a chimney sweep to sweep chimney and again carry out a smoke test.

2a=do these 2 things 1st to make sure the chimney is sound and a fire can actually be fitted to the present chimney.

3=Order your gas fire,once it arrives...

4=...have your RGI look at the instructions and tell you what your builder will be required to do.More work usually required for an LFE than a DFE,but LFEs are more efficient.

5=get builder to make good the fireplace(and yes it will require a lintel)and surround and hearth.

6=Get RGI back to fit and test fire.

Thanks for the info so far, I had a builder and RGI installer out (same person) who said it would be ~£400 to fit the fire as in current situation (as photo) down to ~£120 for gas connection with no building work. This seems somewhat expensive to me. And obviously I want to keep cost down.

A couple of pointers he gave would be:

disconnect the fire
remove and install a lintel (props/strongboys not really required whilst doing this)
make good the walls and plaster
chimney sweep
weak sand/cement for the new hearth
fit surround and marble back
install fire and connect (smoke tests etc.)

Now, does the throat piece also work as a lintel? would I fit a lintle above the throat piece. (see in the photo where 2 bricks have filled a void at an angle).

He also asked if the fire was a 'firebox' to which I'm not sure it's this:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Cleveland-Mantle-with-Sahara-Gas-Fire/invt/156956

does this mean I have to remove the fireproof concrete back and replace with a packaged 'box' (or the throat piece and replace with a std. lintel? Unfortuantely the fire has a long delivery time so cannot have a look at it for a while.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back