gas fire taking ages to light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
don't know if this is the right forum but,

My gasfire is taking ages to light up. The ignition spark is fine, but when it ignites the pilot and I releaseit the pilot goes off. let me explain more clearly:
1) i turn and push the gas tap, and keep it pressed
2) i press the ignite button, it sparks and lights the pilot
3) i keep the gas tap button pressed (used to only need to do this for 10 secs)
4) when i release the tap button the pilot now goes off.

I had a similar problem a year ago, and ran the hoover over a few parts to get the dirt off. I also removed and cleared a few of the thin pipes. It worked great after that for the entire winter. Then, the problem was it was not sparking, but the clean out fixed it. Now I'm not sure what the problem is? any suggestions.

thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
The pilot and/or the thermocouple assembly are faulty.

Most fires require a full service and inspection on a yearly basis.

Get a competant engineer to carry out a thorough service on the fire - this means removal from the fireplace and a flue inspection etc.

A hoover out is not sufficient.

Most fires require a full service and inspection on a yearly basis.

Meaning the likes of bonfires etc dont require servicing on a yearly basis :eek:

"
The pilot and/or the thermocouple assembly are faulty."

will he need to order parts, or is it something routine that he can do on the spot?

How much should he charge for something like that?

If it's just the assembly that is faulty, surely it just needs reassembling correctly? if that is the case why was it working ok a few months ago? It has not be taken apart or fiddled with in the meantime.

thanks.

Sponsored Links
Not familiar with that model and I can find no reference to it - perhaps its a museum piece - some customers like to get their monies worth. I think Cannon only make cookers now. The fire side is owned by Flavel.

I serviced a boiler for a friend of my mother the other day. The electric cooker dates back to 1952. It still has one of the original hotplate rings working! The fridge is much younger only a 1960 model. I told her not to dump them when they finally stop working - plenty of collectors around.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back