Gas Fire vs Electric Fire Efficiency

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've current got a standard UK inset gas fire from Kinder, (Oasis) it's an open flame so no glass.

We're looking at building out the area around the fire to become a sort of media wall due to the the terrible shape of our living room, however to do this, the fire would have to be swapped, most likely to a long rectangular one.

We've been discussing but with all the recent energy price increases, does anyone know which type of fire is more efficient, and which is also supposed to be cheaper to run? Our open flame kicks out a good amount of heat (3.7kW) but then states its only 60% efficient. We've also got dogs, so end up having to use a fire guard, so probably makes it even less efficient.

Ideally we'd like something that still gives off a good amount of heat, but is more efficient if possible.
Does anyone know which is better?

Sponsored Links
Well...

My gas is 3.86p/kwh
Electricity 20.53p/kwh

If we assume an electric heater is 100% efficient, and you Gas is 50% instead of the notional 60%, you'll be paying 7.72p on gas vs 20.53p on electricity for the same thermal output at 1kwh.

Or is my logic awry?

I would suggest you can ditch the fire guard. Dogs have more sense than you credit them with and lots more than children.
I also think gas is your better option as it is more instant and, in my opinion, spreads heat further and quicker than electric as well as being cheaper than electric when all factors are considered.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back