GAS FIRE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If you came across an old inset gas fire and does not have a burner pressure test nipple fitted what would this be classed as.

could i just gas rate it instead

Sponsored Links
BOB D.O.L.E said:
what would this be classed as.

A cheap piece of cr@p probably,I'd say a gas rate would be the best thing to do,can't believe it hasn't got a pressure test point though. :confused:

Sponsored Links
ollski said:
chr15 said:
BOB D.O.L.E said:
what would this be classed as.

can't believe it hasn't got a pressure test point though. :confused:

Why?, most insets don't have a burner pressure test point, just inlet.

Yes your right most dont but you can still take the burner pressure off the inlet nipple, unscew and stick u gauge on normaly reads about 20mb standing but if you ignite the fire the pressure drops and this is the burner pressure ...........i think ..hope...

Baxmax said:
No Bob thats working pressure

so in the manus instructions it says 18mb and it dropped to 18 mb but i could be wrong on this one and thinking about it im 65% sure im wrong and if so how would yea take the burner pressure, or would it have to be a gas rate job

Gas rate it or take it off the injector. Problem is if it has no b.p test point then the manufacturer will have no need to give you a b.p figure just a kw input and output which needs gas rating.

ollski said:
Gas rate it or take it off the injector. Problem is if it has no b.p test point then the manufacturer will have no need to give you a b.p figure just a kw input and output which needs gas rating.

thanks ollski thats cleared that up....

Also this decrepid fire had no inlet test , no igniter, no safety control, just a brass knob under the fire to turn on the gas would this be classed has NCS OR AR

Reclaimed and decorative gas fires from donkey's years ago are still in regular circulation and it doesn't need any classification as long as it is installed to standard.

There are also a few dates when different laws becoming applicable; I've got them all in a book in the van - If you need them; I can retrieve; it was early 1980's if I remember whereby if the fire was fitted before then; a lot of safety features are not needed.

Remember that as a registered installer; you are there to enforce the laws and safety regarding the installation and use - Not the manufacture.

From my experience the fires with just a knob to turn on the gas to the burner have an input far in excess of 7kW which means it must have purpose ventilation of 100 sq cm free area unless the MI says different. You will need to gas rate it to determine the input.

giblets said:
From my experience the fires with just a knob to turn on the gas to the burner have an input far in excess of 7kW which means it must have purpose ventilation of 100 sq cm free area unless the MI says different. You will need to gas rate it to determine the input.

If it had a badge and it said 6.7kw and yea gas rated it and worked out to be 7.1kw what has caused this fire input to rise to 7.1kw is it the injector, pipesize, ventalation, ?????????

Worn/incorrect injector would be the obvious candidate letting too much gas through.

(Or your gas rate calcs are mixing up gross & nett ;) )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back