Gas fires and wall mounted TVs.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Im a total DIY newb and was thinking about getting a wall mounted TC above the fireplace installed.

The question is, would the TV suffer damage due to it being installed above the gas fire, if so is there some method to avoid this at all??

Any help would be great.

Thanks!

Foz.

Sponsored Links
The problem is most fireplaces are normally in the centre of the room ideal for viewing TV, with mine I've changed my fire to a electric fire and watching the glow light keep me warm ;)

So there is no other option? You just cant put a TV above the gas fire, even with a large Fireplace surround in place?

Sponsored Links
LCD screens fair better than plasma's in these situations. If you fit a plasma above the fire, the gasses within the tubes deteriorate over time causing failures in some of the tubes.

LCD's dont have a gas so they are better suited. Also if you have a fire surround fitted, that will help deflect hot rising air directly heating the TV.

If you have a flush fitting fire with no suround place your hand at the height the bottom of the tv will be when the fire is lit and see just how much heat is not convecting away from the wall.

I have a Philips 32" LCD above my gas fire (been there 12 Months) and it is doing OK. No melted dripping plastic yet :D

LCD screens fair better than plasma's in these situations. If you fit a plasma above the fire, the gasses within the tubes deteriorate over time causing failures in some of the tubes.

LCD's dont have a gas so they are better suited. Also if you have a fire surround fitted, that will help deflect hot rising air directly heating the TV.

If you have a flush fitting fire with no suround place your hand at the height the bottom of the tv will be when the fire is lit and see just how much heat is not convecting away from the wall.

I have a Philips 32" LCD above my gas fire (been there 12 Months) and it is doing OK. No melted dripping plastic yet

Absolut bull!!!!!

I'm not a DIY expert but a copper and so, just a tip from my perspective. In recent months, there has been a huge rise in burglaries due to plasma TVs being on display on fireplaces (as they are easily noticeable). If you do get one, try your best to conceal it (even if that means keeping blinds closed I'd suggest) as the last thing you want is to be coming home from work to a trashed house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back