Gas Flue in situ. Thinking of installing a multi-fuel stove.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I appear to have a gas flu but I was looking into getting a multi fuel stove. Given that a full installation with all materials would've cost me £3.2k when the engineer quoted me via text thinking we had an appropriate flue, I am wondering if it's actually worth investing in especially as the government are pushing heat pumps.

Don't worry - I don't plan on using him and I wanted to source the burner and materials myself.

I have an old house which despite some modifications to insulate suffers from being cold.

Has anyone made a similar choice and which way did you go?
Screen Shot 2023-10-27 at 17.52.21.png
Screen Shot 2023-10-27 at 17.52.48.png
Screen Shot 2023-10-27 at 17.52.13.png

Sponsored Links
Have you anywhere to store wood , have you a supply?
asi it’s now £90 a bag delivered it’s not cost effective

Have you anywhere to store wood , have you a supply?
asi it’s now £90 a bag delivered it’s not cost effective
Got a limited supply. We have a carport / garage we could use.
They're a luxury item, they aren't cheap to run
This is a big factor. Need to really consider it.

Is a heat pump worth looking into an alternative?

Sponsored Links
Is a heat pump worth looking into an alternative?

If your house is not 100 percent insulated and the radiators sized to the room then no .

General comments
a wood burner is never ever a money saver unless you own several tonnes off well seasoned wood every year for free even then the payback may be perhaps several years to cover instillation and purchase costs
iff you look second hand wood burners are readily available and cheap as people try to get Something back from the failed life style fantasy off easy virtually free heat

Better with a gas fire that looks like a wood burner plenty out there also 300 quid fines are now in for burning wrong stuff,

Good advice - can anyone recommend a really efficient gas fire. That doesn't have grills and looks like a real fire? I remember the old grill type making our living room really warm growing up but they they don't look great.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back