Gas from hob smells different when burning - bit worried!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dont know if this is the right forum as there wasnt one for gas appliances.

Been recently working in the garage that joins on to the kitchen so doors have been left open & it’s been quite cold in the house.
So, to keep the kitchen warm, I've been having the main centre gas ring on the cooker lit, this heats up the kitchen very quickly.
However, there seems to be a very strong 'smell' coming from the burning gas. It’s not unpleasant, and smells very much like an old fashioned calor gas portable heater - but quite strong. I've had to open the window to vent the kitchen to remove the smell.

Is this normal?
I've never noticed this smell before when cooking & was wondering why the gas has started to smell like this when burning.

The cooker is fairly new (3 years old) there I've had no issues with leaks. The gas burns with a normal blue flame with only a faint flicker of orange on the flame tips every so often.

Sponsored Links
It's probably because you're using the hob as a heating appliance instead of a cooking appliance. The hob and it's ventilation requirements have been designed for shorter durations and using it for longer durations will lead to oxygen depletion in the atmosphere of the kitchen. This in turn leads to incomplete combustion which results in the production of carbon monoxide. The smell will be due to other products of incomplete combustion but the odourless CO is what you should be worried about.

There is also a possibility of a fault with the hob and if you are at all unsure about it's safety don't use it until you've had a suitably qualified RGI look at it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back