Intermittent faint gas smell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I live in an old apartment building. For a long time now, I've noticed a slight smell of gas in the kitchen, but it ONLY occurs when I have the tumble dryer on (and the door closed). It seems like as the dryer is expelling air from the room, it's pulling gas in from somewhere. The smell is faint. There is a big 2 inch galvanized gas line running around the ceiling, supplying my gas meter and the apartments above mine. My own gas pipes after the meter are lead, and buried in the plaster, behind the cabinets, continuing into the living room fireplace.
Should I be concerned? If the place constantly smelled like gas, I would have wasted no time ripping out the whole kitchen and getting in a gas fitter long ago, but, as I say, it only happens when the dryer is on. The rest of the time, I can't smell any gas at all. I had a gas safety check done, as I have a tenant, and the pressure test was normal, I mentioned this to the engineer, but as there isn't normally any smell, he had no reason to be alarmed, and the pressure test was fine. He suggested that for my peace of mind, I should consider getting my lead pipes replaced at some point. Is this common with lead pipes? Do they become porous or something? Am I just being paranoid?
any thoughts

Sponsored Links
There is a small chance that you're mistaking the smell for something else.

Other than that, call 0800111999, get them out to check.

What might be a small smell for you might be a large leak somewhere else in the property.

If you're still alive, good luck!

When your drier has been on for a while check if the smell is coming from the plug/socket. I've had a funny fishy smell in a room before which turned out to be the bacolite (or whatever old stuff it was made of) in the light fitting heating up and slightly melting. I also had similar with a shower switch in a newer house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back