The smell of gas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last night around 8pm I went to cook dinner on the stove. The spark igniter would not light the hob so I fumbled for my lighter, I the realised I could not smell any gas. I turned it up and put my nose to it and I could feel the gas but no smell. I decided to call the gas company because I thought someone could leave an unlit appliance on and not smell it. There was definitely gas there as I was now cooking. Gas company called me back around 11.30pm for my address. Gave it and said"I don't have a leak or a supply problem its just the smell has not been added to the gas, so you don't have to send any one round, Its not a problem with my house". "yes of course will contact the gas supplier and make sure they are adding enough odour" came the reply.
Next morning at 8am 2 gas guys almost broke my door down. They tested the meter with an instrument an said the reading was 87 which is ok. I invited them in and they tested at the hob. There was no smell even with my nose at the ring. After a say 10 seconds it started to smell and got stronger. The man with the instrument said thats ok. I said there was defiantly no smell last night, to which the guy responded rather bluntly "thats impossible you are in a low pressure area" wandered of leaving me to feel like a right cnob.

Sorry about the rant but did I do the right thing to call? or is it not really an issue, just for future reference.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Maybe you had a cold yesterday? ;)

Mr. W.
Nope my nose was working perfectly. It just did not smell. Makes you realise why they add the smell. You could have a house full of gas and not know it.
And why would "thats impossible you are in a low pressure area" have anything to do with the lack of odour. :rolleyes: And why did they have to get me out of bed at 8am when I had already said there was not a problem at my house? Did the think my house was somehow removing the smell? :rolleyes:
I presume last night there was a huge slug of gas in the system without the added odour and by this morning it has been used.

Anyway

Thanks guys.

Sponsored Links
Well, looking at it from another way, who else's house could they knock at to diagnose the problem you say you had in your area?

Well, if you didnt have a cold, were you cooking with garlic & onions?

Mr. W.

Well, looking at it from another way, who else's house could they knock at to diagnose the problem you say you had in your area?
I suppose.

Mdub
This was before I started cooking.
The normal smell of gas is realy strong (just had a quick sniff) and I had my nose to the unlit burner, no smell.
I presume everyone knows natrual gas has no smell until the gas company adds it to enable you to smell an escape.
Is it beyond comprehension that the smell adding machine broke down for a bit yesterday.

Does no one beleve me :cry:
It realy happened, just after I left the alien spacecraft. :LOL:

It really doesn't matter if it happened or not. Standard rule: if you suspect any problem with gas, call 0800 111 999. End of.

Don't knock it there are some stange things going on with our supply networks at the moment there is a small costal town in Suffolk where an "Un-specified" event has occured within the supply network ther result of which is a very fine red rusty dust getting through the mains into appliances Gas control valves on Premix Burners are failing due to contamination !! :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back