Gas hob "may not be installed in flats"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking at replacing my gas hob, I find on Currys site some models whose specs include "May not be installed in flats". There's no explanation, but after comparing various models I'm wondering if it's the ones without "automatic safety cut-out" that this applies to.

Anyone advise please?

Also, if you know the best sub-£200 brand to go for, I'd be grateful for the tip-off. I'm not impressed with the materials quality or the performance of my Zanussi.

clemenzina

Sponsored Links
I expect you are right abou the automatic safety feature. Flats are normally less well ventelated, so that would seem to make sense.

Wasn't there also an incident many years ago where a gas explosion totally destablised a block of pre-fabs, and it was then decided that gas couldn't be allowed in such constructions any longer (which I'm told caused a small shortage of electric cooker control units as cooker circuits were installed :LOL:)

found it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronan_Point

Sponsored Links
Aaaaah, I remember Ronan Point :oops:

It's not all gas that's prohibited (according to the hobs I've been looking at), just some, and it seems to be the ones without safety cut-out.

clemenzina

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back