Gas hob no longer ignites

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My wife has cleaned all the top of the gas hob. Just after cleaning, behind the buttons also, she pressed the gas ignition button and heard a banging sound. Now the ticking no longer works and there is no ignition spark on any of the 4 hobs. It's an Ariston hob.

Any idea how to get this going again please ?

Sponsored Links
The only info I have is on our Stoves gas range cooker - there's an electrical "box" which produces the sparks to the hobs. On ours it's fitted under the plate which surround the 4 hobs. Maybe yours is fried?

I don't know but now the dials are very stiff, don't press down for ignition and hardly to turn. How on earth this happened don't know.

Sponsored Links
Have you checked the fuse on the electrical supply? Presumably plugged in to a socket somewhere. Maybe she was over-enthusiastic with the cleaning and has got water into the electrics somehow?

I would also be inclined to pull the knobs off again and check around the spindles and ignition button for any excess water. Isolate from the electrics first.

The dials are so stiff now i have to use plyers to move them. When you push down on them for ignition they dont spring back up. I dont know what she has done but its beggered the whole thing. I can understand it affecting the elctric igniter but make the dials hard to turn ?

Job for a gas safe engineer, almost certainly fused the system and the buttons being stiff is a concern, may even have washed out some of the sealing grease in the taps, sorry but it is not a DIY job really. The proper and safest answer is to call an engineer out as a matter of urgency, just in case the sealing on the taps has been compromised.

Youre joking ! Thats terrible news considering she insist she didnt put any fluid on them. If that is the case wouldn't it be cheaper to buy a new hob and have that fitted? Having siad that I can't smell any gas.

If your hob is in good nick it's going to be cheaper to have a guy service it than to buy new and pay for fitting.
Chances are the hob will need some dismantling and being gas it's really a job for a qualified engineer ;)

We inherited it when we moved in 16 years ago so it is old. It's an Ariston (goes on and on)

Well that's the wife's early Christmas present sorted then! :D :D :D

The dials are so stiff now i have to use plyers to move them. When you push down on them for ignition they dont spring back up.

Does it have a lid? On ours when you put the lid down there's a mechanism which forces all the gas knobs to the OFF position (and holds them tightly there). I found this out by accident one day when trying to replace the knobs after extensive cleaning...they wouldn't go back on. After lifting the lid they slipped back on no problem. Maybe you've knocked something off (and fried the "box")?

Lid ? I don't know what you mean. We just use the 2 dials that work for now. It's a mystery why they should go stiff after a couple of days of it happening.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back