Gas HOB trips ELECTRIC BREAKER

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our gas hob is 12 yrs old

it has been causing a tripping issue for years now but it happens every so often.

it has just happened 10 mins ago when my wife cleaned a cooker tray and put it on the hob to dry naturally over night. The HOB was off but this has tripped out the board.

so we switch off the hob where it is plugged into a socket behind some draws and it should be fine in the morning.

any idea what is happening?

we would like to replace but I doubt we will get a good match for the hob and we have a granite work top, so replacement might be tough

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
"cleaned a cooker tray and put it on the hobs to dry" it would seem connected with water, one would expect when not being used not to cause a problem, but if the line and neutral have been swapped then it could cause a problem.

But since plugged in, easy enough to test. However I don't live in Yorkshire.

Last edited by a moderator:
'Tripped out the board..' is that an MCB or an RCD which trips?

Obviously it seems the cleaning causes the trips, might you or your wife simply be using too much water near the hob when cleaning?

Sponsored Links
Not to much water. Normally the sparker goes off every 5 seconds when this is tripping out. So we just switch it off at the plug and wait to the next day.

So the sparker is key to all this i think. Last night this didnt happen and she just placed a wettish tray on the hob.

Water is definitely the key to all this. Pans over flow quite often etc.

It is the RCD which trips.

I have a plug tester which lights up green if the wiring is all ok. Should i test the plug with this ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back