Replacing Gas Hob With Induction Hob.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a search but can't find anything that helps.

We currently have a built under electric oven & a gas hob.

We are designing a new kitchen & were thinking of fitting an induction hob in place of the gas one, the problem is where's the power going to come from?

The C/U has a 30A breaker for the cooker, so I'm guessing I'm going to have to get an extra circuit installed from the C/U to power the hob, is this a correct assumption?

Mrs E seems to think I can just spur off the existing cooker wiring an fit a second switch for the hob (good job she's not a sparky)!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Induction hobs are near instant, although they do use a hefty amount of power.

You will need a new circuit and the cable size and fuse rating at the CU will depend on the item chosen, the distance to the CU and the installation method of the cable route between CU and location.

Holmslaw, your post seems geared to your own preferences and the OP didn't ask for such bias.

Sponsored Links
Anyone who cooks with a gas hob will never be happy with an electic hob.

They will also need to throw away all of their perfectly good pots and pans, since once used on gas, the base distorts slightly, making them useless for an induction hob.

Of course, you can't use anything made from aluminium, glass or copper either. Neither can you use steel pans with composite bases made from layers of copper and aluminium. Obviously, using a wok is impossible.

On the plus side, you can slice a pan in half and cook one side of an egg leaving the other half raw.

Holmslaw, your post seems geared to your own preferences and the OP didn't ask for such bias.

Thats a little unfair i think. Everyone is allowed to have an opinion and Holmslaw (IMO quite rightly) informs the OP that electric hobs are plop.

Afterall, the OP did say they were only 'thinking' of installing one, so now would be an ideal time to mention this fact.

BTW, seeing as hes from Switzerland, he'll no doubt have a knife. Carry on talking to him like that, he might stab you with it, then open a bottle of wine and pull some stones from a horses hoof. Be careful :LOL:

wenger-85-swiss-army-knife.jpg

With the above he could:-

Remove my brain
Right the wrongs of Browns Government
Sort out the credit crunch
Cure BAS of his ills
Sort world poverty
Remove tumours from the NIC boardroom
Sort out world famine
Eat Chri5 having disemboweled him slowly and cut him in to kebab sized bits of porky tasting meat

Remove my brain
Cure BAS of his ills
Sort world poverty
Sort out world famine
Eat Chri5 having disemboweled him slowly and cut him in to kebab sized bits of porky tasting meat

Might I suggest a lump hammer in place of a swiss army knife for one of those suggestions in particular.....?

Remove my brain
Cure BAS of his ills
Sort world poverty
Sort out world famine

only 7 out of 8 are possible. :cool:

I have both a two-ring induction hob and a three ring gas hob. I can choose either to cook with.

What holmslaw says is rubbish.

An induction hob is far more controllable; you can adjust the heat so much better that you can make real custard without having to use a double saucepan. The efficiency is clearly much greater because the excess heat from around the pan is much lower. And they are faster at heating up a pan of water.

On the other hand, you can't lift the pan from the hob to shuffle food reound as you would in a frying pan.

A gas hob is far better for frying and cooking pancakes. You can lift the pan to shuffle food or toss a pancake. You can use lighter pans; they don't have to be heavyweight.

It's a matter of horses for courses. I wouldn't like to be without either gas or induction.

[quote="holmslaw";p="1347666"}

Electric hobs are useless, expensive to run and slow to heat up. The so called "energy saving" ones, don't save energy they waste it.
They are also a serious pan fire hazard, due to the temptation to turn the rings on fully to avoid waiting the rest of you life for the the rings to get hot enough to fry an egg.[/quote]

Electric induction hobs are faster, and put less heat into the kitchen and have no indecent parts so can't cause a fire. Where any power is used to cool the kitchen they are cheaper to run as heat only goes to pan.

I think you need to go back to school you are still in the dark ages. Before induction hobs what you have said may have had some truth but not with induction.

However Induction hobs being so fast are heavy user's and often the full 32A is required for the hob and because of boost they is really no diversity.

Depending on size you may be able to feed directly to hob and spur to oven as many ovens only need 13A or less. Spur units are only fused to 13A so can only supply items using less than 13A. But some hob need more than 32A so without details unable to answer.

However Induction hobs being so fast are heavy user's and often the full 32A is required for the hob and because of boost they is really no diversity.

:cry: I'll keep saying it until someone listens..

you CANNOT apply diversity to the installation of an electric oven/hob/cooker..
you MUST install properly sized cables and OCPD's to take the FULL LOAD of the appliance..

diversity is used for calculating TOTAL DEMAND OF THE ENTIRE INSTALLATION ONLY...

after all, I can get a 10.4KW cooker on a 20A breaker fed with 1.5mm² T+E by applying diversity.. and that's just not right..

:cry: I'll keep saying it until someone listens..

you CANNOT apply diversity to the installation of an electric oven/hob/cooker..
you MUST install properly sized cables and OCPD's to take the FULL LOAD of the appliance..

diversity is used for calculating TOTAL DEMAND OF THE ENTIRE INSTALLATION ONLY...

after all, I can get a 10.4KW cooker on a 20A breaker fed with 1.5mm² T+E by applying diversity.. and that's just not right..

Hi Col,

Are you absolutely sure about this?

I understand the OSG is mainly just a boiled down version of guidance, but the way i read page 95, paragraph 3 suggests that diversity can be applied to a single circuit. This paragraph then directs the reader to table 1A, pg 96.

Page 95 paragraph 4 goes on to expalin diversity for the entire installation and directs the reader to table 1B, pg97.

I understand that diversity is not really an exact science, but a rule of thumb, careful consideration is still required by the designer of the installation.

the OSG is actually a lot more verbose on diversity than the regs are..
it's just one small reg in the big red book..
311 MAXIMUM DEMAND AND DIVERSITY

311.1 For economic and reliable design, the maximum demand of an installation shall be assessed. In determining the maximum demand of an installation or part thereof, diversity may be taken into account

so maybe I was a bit harsh in stating that it can only be used for the ENTIRE installation.. but it's still for determining maximum demand.. not for determining the operating currents..
you must still install correctly sized cables and ocpd's for the maximum current that the appliance can take..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back