Gas hobs: lower burner power on new models (EU regulation)?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I’ve heard that the burners on new hobs have a reduced gas flow compared to older models. This is allegedly due to EU (or UK) regulations to reduce carbon emissions. Or perhaps it has something to do with fire safety. I don’t know if this is true.

I can’t go to a retailer and check the power of the burners before buying a hob as they are not fitted to a gas network.

The point of having a gas hob is to be able to quickly adjust the heat when frying, boiling, etc. and get the pots boiling quickly. If the new models have a reduced gas flow, it would probably be best to stick with my current hob.

Does anyone know about the regulations or has anyone recently fitted a new hob and noticed that the gas flow (heat level) is insufficient?

Sponsored Links
This is just an update. We got the new hob installed six months ago and the gas flow was high. However, CDA is a really crappy brand. The big problem is that the lowest heat is way to hot to be usable. The lowest heat is almost half of the highest heat. It is impossible to use this hob to simmer or boil slowly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back