gas jet sizes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,
i have a grill that currently has jets with number 50 stamped on its running on natural gas ,i want to run it on propane can anyone tell me what size jets i need ,tried asking manufacture but it is an old grill they no longer make,its a moorwood vulcan 80G,any info would be great.

Sponsored Links
If the manufacturer cannot supply a conversion kit then the appliance CANNOT be converted to operate obn Propane!! simple as! ;)

Sponsored Links
As a rule of thumb,lpg injectors are half the size of natural gas.But its not as simple as that.Propane also needs 2.5 times the volume of oxygen,therefore 2.5 times more air.Many natural gas burners are not suitable for lpg as they cannot physically allow more air in,therefore incomplete combustion occurs,and the dreaded CO is produced instead of CO2

Its a lot more complicated than that.

The area of a jet is FOUR times smaller if the diameter is halved.

But its normal for LPG burner pressures to be set higher than natural gas.

The net result is that only a manufacturer can test and provide LPG conversions that are safe to use. In many cases the basic design is made for one type of gas and cannot safely be used on another.

Certainly fiddling with jet sizes is NOT safe for a DIYer who does not have the experience or test equipment to know if something is safe or not.

Tony

As a rule of thumb,lpg injectors are half the size of natural gas.But its not as simple as that.Propane also needs 2.5 times the volume of oxygen,therefore 2.5 times more air.Many natural gas burners are not suitable for lpg as they cannot physically allow more air in,therefore incomplete combustion occurs,and the dreaded CO is produced instead of CO2

LPG does require more air for combustion (5 volumes O2 to 1 volume propane) , BUT , when calculating size of air vent needed for a 10kw boiler using NG or LPG vent size would be the same , ie: 1kw of heat from NG would consume .094m3 , where as 1kw of heat from LPG would consume .038m3.

Total POC for 1m3 NG=11m3
Total POC for 1m3 LPG=26m3

Would you like to explain why not?

How do you define "1 kW of heat" ?

Would you like to explain why not?

How do you define "1 kW of heat" ?

Will all depend on KW input rating as to how many m3 of gas is consumed per hour.

Seriously have you really got to ask that question. ;)

1 KW of heat is defined as a rate of energy transfer of 1000 joules per second. :D

sorry,I should of said,as a rule of thumb,the diameter of the injector is halved for lpg,when changed from natural gas

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back