Gas Main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a semi which has now planning permission to erect a garage with bedroom over on the free side of the house. On excavating I’ve unearthed the gas main (steel in yellow casing). This would pass through the proposed footings (under the new garage door) and would be under a concrete floor if I continued.

I would need a gas supply to the house whilst I live and build the extension and would prefer not to have to reroute it at some future point to maintain a budget.

What are the regulations and what advice is there for me please ?

many thanks,

Gramac

Sponsored Links
https://www.energynetworks.org/assets/files/news/public-info/1200304_Gas leaflet_Build Over PE Pipes_Feb14.pdf

This bit may help:

"Building over these service pipes can cause difficulties and action would be required if an extension to a property results in the situation shown below. The service pipe typically leaves the mains at right angles and connects to the property at the first opportunity. This means that any extensions to the sides of homes must take this requirement into account. If an extension or addition to a property could result in this situation then the meter point will need to be repositioned as close as is practical to the front face of the house."

Not sure this would work. The building inspector is out tomorrow so I will ask him. There are other similar extensions On neighbouring properties which must have had the same issue so I will ask them too.

Sponsored Links
Not sure this would work. The building inspector is out tomorrow so I will ask him. There are other similar extensions On neighbouring properties which must have had the same issue so I will ask them too.
Sounds like a plan!

Its not covered by B regs other than how it may affect the foundations. The principle of building over and permissions required will be down to the statutory undertaker (gas co) I would think, what there requirements are I have no idea. All I do is look at the excavation and inform the owner/contractor it is nothing to do with B Regs and it is their responsibility to pursue the matter with gas co, if they don't its any responsibility rests entirely with them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back