Gas meter issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, a strange sceranio, which is probably a normality on here....

I live in a 1930's house. Gas was retro fitted internally, just inside the door (being a wooden internal porch) I'll attach a photo as it's not easily explained. The internal porch is being replaced with upvc and composite etc. The gas meter isn't being touched but I will need to replace it's housing, as currently its boxed in from the inside of the house (although sited inside the brick wall). It has been accessed from a ply door located in the porch area. It has no actual ventilation. When I replace the porch any natural draft from the ply door will be eliminated and I'm wondering that this cant be up to code. Should I be adding a vent for the meter even though one was never there?

Attachments

• IMG_20200629_155955.jpg
    IMG_20200629_155955.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_20200629_155943.jpg
    IMG_20200629_155943.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 186
Sponsored Links
Use a louver door for the cupboard door - i seem to remenber you can get various standard sizes, then make the frame to suit.
Change to a smart meter - they will check it out when they come to fix the new meter!

Thanks, I know what the answer will be ....spend thousands on a problem I didn't have before. I didn't necessarily wanted it vented into the house and was thinking to put a vent in the wall or new upvc. I was going to box in the meter with a similar wooden box but with internal doors. Thanks for the advice, gas engineer coming tomorrow to assess for a smart meter

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Smart meter guy came and fired a smaller one. He said the boxing in would be okay and had to check with someone via phone about regs and cavity walls?!? He said the nation grid people could love the meter outside, which I feel would be saver. He suggested they would charge over £800 but my brother seems to remember being charged £1600. As I intend on moving soon I will simple build a new cupboard and add and external vent to make it compliant and what I feel is safer but with the cheapest option. Thanks for the help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back