Enclosing porch - issue with gas meter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Firstly apologies if I've not posted in the right place! I've started to enclose our porch so the outside toilet becomes an inside one. It suddenly dawn on me there could be an issue with the gas meter which would no longer be outside either. I did do a search on forums and there seems to be an issue if I were to concreate over the gas pipe - ie a big extention, and what the pipe is made out of. I've attached a picture of what I've done so far. The gas pipe is on the left, it's made of metal and painted black, and you can just about see the meter mounted high up on the wall on the left too. All I'm doing is putting a frame and door in. The original door into the house will be removed. Other than the gas man having to knock on my door to read the meter now, is this going to cause a problem? thanks!

Attachments

• IMAG1392.jpg
    IMAG1392.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 658
Sponsored Links
If that is all you're going to do then I can see no problem. Why not request a smart meter then you won't have to been in when the meter reader calls.

Sponsored Links
Thanks adlplumbing, that's the first thing I noticed when putting the frame in place, that's when I also thought, I don't know if handle and meter can actually be inside! But yes you can still easily operate the cut off handle with no obstructions. I did think about boxing it all in with an access door just so it looks more tidy, but it sticks out further than I like already.

If I did choose to in the future would that be okay so long as the handle could still be operated?

if yu have any doubts, ring 0800 111 999 and jut say your unsure on the safety of the service pipe. An engineer will come round and have a look.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back