Gas meter regulations inside porch.

As far as I am aware a sleeve for a gas pipe does not need to be fire resistant as the gas is adequately contained in a steel or copper pipe.

We all think that its unusual for a gas shipper to apparently be trying to get extra work.

They do like meters to be externally available to read though. That will become less relevant as they install more of the wireless enabled meters.

Sponsored Links
Agile its a service pipe and if sleeved its plastic .
the sleeve has to be fire resistant

If its a plastic service pipe ( which the OP has not confirmed ) then its probably correct that its non compliant.

But I see many plastic service pipes entering property a short distance so I can only assume thats considered acceptable. Even have one like that in my Midlands house!

Sponsored Links
The "sleeve" is a GRP riser Glass reinforced Plastic these are designed for outside use only and should not be used indoors GTC are correct in their diagnosis Im afraid

If its dangerous why have they left it for 2 years when they have known all about it , you cannot leave anything that is dangerous the regs have not changed in that time .

i think the use of the word fundementally is there get out from it being mandatory.

This certainly needs challenging

But how can any of you be so sure that its a yellow plastic pipe inside that sheath?

I expect it is though.

Tony

Agile cause some of us actual gasmen and not career change boiler repairmen. ;)
The fitting below the main tap is also a dead give away.

The gas pipe contained inside the GRP riser IS PE and as such cannot be installed internally GTC are correct and to be honest that price is a decent price I would go ahead and agree to let them do it, this situation is not part of the GSIUR regulations that most of the people on here are familiar with it comes under the Gas safety Management Regulations, a lot of people on here giving you false information, the problem is before the Emergency control valve so nothing to do with the majority of posters on here

ianmcd i know it has nothing to do with the standards we work to inside .I used to deal with situations like this every single day when i worked for the board which i why i sought advise from 1 fitter and 1 manager both who still deal with this situation on a daily basis.

Simple question if something is that dangerous that it needs done and they are going to cut off and CHARGE the customer WHY has it been left for 2 years as dates in letter prove .This would be totally against any internal or external reg .

As i have previously said i would be contacting them and asking questions such as if it is that dangerous that the regs(which have not changed , company policy may have ) say it must be cut off WHY have you left me in a dangerous situation for the past 2 years.
As i have also said NG are doing this work for free because its a change in company policy as opposed to regs

Thanks again for all of your helpful answers.

So do I go with it and take the hit, ask them questions or just ignore it and see what happens next?

We are putting the house up for sale next summer.

Up to you mate if it was me I would get it done as I said before that is a decent price and if you had a house fire your insurance might refuse to pay up if they found out you had this notice issued, at the end of the day it has to be done and I doubt if GTC would actually cut off your supply but if they did you would be looking at approx £1500 to re-connect, not sure why others on here are telling you to fight and haggle, it is your right to get quotes from other contractors who are approved to carry out such works but I very much doubt if you will get better quotes, Good luck

The gas pipe contained inside the GRP riser IS PE and as such cannot be installed internally

Fair enough but how much PE can be installed internally?

The PE comes through the wall into my house below ground level and then connecter to about 1m or steel before the meter.

Is that permissable?

Tony

Agile are you sure its PE and not yellow plastic coated steel house entry

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back