Gas meter location change

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
I've had a search, but can't find anything specific to what I would like to do.

First off, I'm clearly not going to attempt this myself as that would be illegal and stupid. I will get some gas safe fitters to quote, but just want to be sure what I am trying to do is feasible and that I ask the right questions, or give the right info to whomever does the job.

I want to move my gas meter about 1m from its current location.
The gas inlet pipe from the road will remain in place up to the internal shut off valve.
I would like a new pipe from the internal shut off valve to go back under the floor, and to the new meter location.
The inlet pipe with shut off valve will be protected but remain accessible in the even of an emergency.

Are there any issues with me getting a gas safe person to do this?
Am I contravening any regulations that would make this non-viable?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
As far as I am aware the meter has to be moved by your gas transporter e.g. SGN, Transco etc. The meter is then reconnected to your appliances by your gas safe fitter.

You dont need the transporter to do this, a gas safe engineer with Met1 category qualification can do this for you, wont be easy finding someone to do it and wont be cheap depending on where you are

Sponsored Links
Thanks all.

From all the recent reading I have done, the big issue with moving a gas meter is that the only accessible shutoff is at the gas meter in the house. Therefore, if the pipe is changed in the house it cannot be shut off. The road needs to be dug up to isolate supply which is where most of the cost is.

I am not planning on changing the supply pipe therefore can not see why the gas supplier or transporter needs to be involved - as ianmcd says.
In my head, this is standard gas pipe work only AFTER the mains gas shut off in the house.
Thanks

Yes your emergency control ECV will remain where it is and an Additional ECV, AECV, will be fitted next to the new meter position and labelled up accordingly, exactly the same as if you converted part of your house into a flat and the tenant needed access to isolate in the event of a smell of gas

Yes your emergency control ECV will remain where it is and an Additional ECV, AECV, will be fitted next to the new meter position and labelled up accordingly, exactly the same as if you converted part of your house into a flat and the tenant needed access to isolate in the event of a smell of gas

Thanks Ian
I'll get on the phone.

Longshot - Anyone know someone in Portsmouth who is MET1 qualified?

Many thanks

Check the Gas safe register just put your post code in and select gas meters , and it will give you a list of local people with that work on their ticket, not everyone who is qualified to work on these will show but the ones that do show are qualified , if that makes any sense, some people dont advertise what they do

https://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/

Last edited:
Check the Gas safe register just put your post code in and select gas meters , and it will give you a list of local people with that work on their ticket, not everyone who is qualified to work on these will show but the ones that do show are qualified , if that makes any sense, some people dont advertise what they do

https://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/

Thank you Ian. I have 2 guys with half a mile of my house who tick that box. E:mail sent.
Many thanks

That is what we are here for my friend, most on here more than happy to help out, let us know how you get on as it helps others

Had a chap around this morning to have a look. He made all the right noises and didn't think it was a problem.
I should get the quote tomorrow.

Phoned (left messages) and e:mailed a few (~5) others, and only the one response so far. Busy trade.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back