Inaccessible Gas meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,wife and daughter have just opened a salon nextdoor to a chip shop which the owner both owns salon and chip shop.thing is his gas meter is still located in the salon.i assume he did not want to spend the money to have it moved.is this actually legal.i mean in the event of emergency how would he shut it off if the salon was closed.

Sponsored Links
It's quite common. You need a separate cutoff vale. I have what was a shop with a flat above. Now they're separate, the flat's gas meter's in what is now the dentist below. The dentist is open "business hours" so it's not a problem. Chippy might be different.

I'll politely request the mods to move this to P & H where more gas people visit.

Last edited by a moderator:
From the regs
3.5 In a non-emergency situation, where there is restricted access, or there is not a handle fitted to the ECV. AR Notify the responsible person that access to, and a means to operate the ECV is required by law. For situations where no handle is present notify the Gas Emergency Contact Centre. In this case, where the situation is classified as At Risk, turning off will NOT remove the Risk and a “Danger Do Not Use” label is NOT to be attached.

A key should be made available.
in an emergency situation it gets classed differently doesnt really make sense as it can become an emergency at anytime .
3.3 In an emergency situation (e.g. gas escaping), where there is restricted access, or there is not a handle fitted to the ECV. ID Turn off all appliances and notify the Gas Emergency Contact Centre (see contact list in Table 2). In the case of LPG, notify the Gas Supplier.

Is there a shut off known as an additional emergency control valve (aecv)?

Sponsored Links
The chip shop owner must have access to the meter control valve at all times so either the meter needs re-locating or he must be able to gain access to your shop at all times.

This is not an unusual occurrence, the regulations appeared to changed some time ago, at one time it was deemed sufficient to fit an additional valve but not anymore.

Read the industry unsafe situations procedure page 23 & 24 for situations 3.3 & 3.5

https://www.igem.org.uk/_resources/assets/attachment/full/0/66436.pdf

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back