Gas Meter Location

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am having a gas connection fitted and have been advised by the National Grid surveyor that I can have a flush fitting gas meter box in a single skin garage wall. However, a builder has since advised me that a gas meter box can only be fitted in a double cavity wall and therefore a single skin garage wall cannot have a gas meter box fitted in it.

Please can anyone confirm what the legal position is.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Not sure what the legal position........but in my humble opinion I doubt a recessed box can be fitted into a single skin wall (102.5mm thickness) UNLESS there's an additional housing box on the inner side of the box location.

A standard recessed box sits into a cavity wall (usually 300mm thickness).

No prob's regards flush meter box in a garage. It will protrude into the garage by about 40mm or so.

Sponsored Links
Agree with Noseall, cant see a problem, have certainly seen and done this before with no issues.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back