Pre fab lean to garage over gas/electric meters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all my 1st post here, I'm very interested in a property & wanting a garage ideally a lean to to maximise size but the gas & electric meter boxes are located together on the external wall is it legal to build a lean to over them

Sponsored Links
Is the lean-to open ended?

I think technically the gas meter is supposed to stay accessible at all times (ie when you're not in) so that the gas board can attend in an emergency. But prolly alright to just get on with it. I've never heard of the gas board causing any problems. Its not that usual for peeps to build extensions or whatever and for their meters to become internal.

freddymercurystwin";p="3230142 said:
Is the lean-to open ended?

I think technically the gas meter is supposed to stay accessible at all times (ie when you're not in) so that the gas board can attend in an emergency. But prolly alright to just get on with it. I've never heard of the gas board causing any problems. Its not that usual for peeps to build extensions or whatever and for their meters to become internal.[/quote

It would be enclosed from further investigation I'd have to move it in case of a leak there could be a fire risk with it been enclosed

Sponsored Links
Had Hanson garages round for a quote and the bloke said the meters in the garage would be fine, I'm still in some doubt as some people suggest moving them what's the likelihood that it would be a problem and be forced to move them

As mentioned the meter is supposed to stay accessible in the event of an emergency situation. The garage bloke doesn't know he is selling you a a garage.

But there are plenty of extensions that are thrown up where the Building Inspector has allowed them to become enclosed. If there was an emergency then I imagine they would have the right to enter your property to access it. Think you're worry about nothing.

As mentioned the meter is supposed to stay accessible in the event of an emergency situation. The garage bloke doesn't know he is selling you a a garage.

But there are plenty of extensions that are thrown up where the Building Inspector has allowed them to become enclosed. If there was an emergency then I imagine they would have the right to enter your property to access it. Think you're worry about nothing.

It's just playing on my mind that someone could come along and say rip it down

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back